“Sadly falling apart; won't be back”
Review of The Diner - CLOSED

The Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Back in November I gave The Diner a great review - because it deserved that review. Since then owners have replaced the excellent cooks Jamie and David with an individual who can't cook his way out of a paper bag, but who apparently was willing to invest in the place in order to have a job! I know that sounds harsh - and it pains me to say it since we have eaten there almost every day since November.

But last night it took 30 minutes for me to get a buffalo chicken sandwich. When it arrived it was dry. It took another 10 minutes for my wife to get a brownie - ordered at the same time!

Apparently someone had a really bad idea of making (and selling) pickles. I had one last night - it was limp, almost slimy, and edible only if you love garlic.

This morning I ordered pancakes, my wife an omelet. There were only three other tables in the restaurant. Two of these were in the room we were sitting in. Those two tables sent food back a combined FOUR times.

My pancakes came out after 30 minutes - without crispy bacon and with undercooked hash browns. My wife's omelet had apparently been burnt - but another one would be out in 45 seconds. When it did arrive, it was undercooked. It was sent back - and then we heard the cook, Drew, yellowing at the wait staff about how there was nothing wrong with the omelet and then throwing things.

I confronted him - and he told me that the omelet was fine. I told him that he was being a child and to never tell a customer they were wrong. What did he do after my wife and left - improve his cooking. Oh no. He fired the wait staff - since that is, naturally, the real problem, not his inability to cook.

Going to The Diner is like being on the set of Restaurant Impossible or Kitchen Nightmares. More food going back to be thrown away than coming out to be eaten. Orders botched. Food taking forever - and a cook that really ought not be cooking. I'm told that he is there - instead of the real cooks Jamie and David.

This will be my last review of The Diner - and my advice to others is to AVOID the place.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Diner is just up from Whole Foods on Jackson Blvd. The location has recently been Asian, then Mexican, but the Diner is making the location work. I had the meat loaf, collards and mashed potatoes which were very good. My wife had the chicken pot pie special which was a bit of a disappointment. The Diner had a special on specialty beer and I tasted a couple which were quite good. The staff was friendly and helpful. When you're in the neighborhood stop in for a tremendous diner experience.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Nice family place. Excellent food. I order the special of the day and was excellent. Waitress was really friendly. She recommend the home made apple pie for dessert...I will recommend it, too!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We've been there at least three times. Traditional southern diner cooking, especially the vegetables which are well seasoned. Some good entrees have been liver & onions, meat loaf, and chicken fried chicken, The cornbread is the best I've ever had outside a grandmother's house.

Note: they have just suspended breakfast service except on weekends.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

My husband and I Stopped by The Diner for lunch on a Saturday recently. It was about 2:30 so well after normal lunch time. We were seated right away as they were not busy. The hostess brought our drinks. Our waitress did not come over to our table until we asked her - a good 20 minutes after we received our drinks. She said she thought we were waiting for more people. We told the hostess we were a party of 2 so we did not understand why she thought that. We gave our order and after another long wait, we received our food. The food was good though and was fresh. I had the Cobb salad and my husband had the sausage and peppers hoagie. Very good! I'm not sure we will return due to the slow service however.

1  Thank sciencerules03