“A quality diner.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

What a great find. This is the perfect use for a groupon...getting people in the door so we can find out how great they are! They do need to do some work on publishing their
current hours. Trip Advisor, yelp, and urban spoon all had it incorrect and their website was down. So, call ahead!
I ordered the chicken and waffles. They came with two sides. I chose cheese grits and hashbrowns. The chicken was tenderloin strips that were fried to perfection. Then, drizzled in a rich molasses syrup that was not cloyingly sweet...and just the perfect amount. The grits were delicious. They were not your standard quick grits you see at most diners. These were stone ground grits cooked with cream and other guilty pleasures to result in one of the best bowls of grits in my life...and I've lived in South Carolina for 35 years! My husband ordered the standard breakfast food : eggs over easy, bacon, hashbrowns, and a biscuit. All were very good....the biscuit being the highlight. The biscuit was very buttery and flaky -ya know, like grandma used to make. Service is kinda slow for a diner...but remember that they are back there frying up chicken by the order, not just throwing a few eggs on a griddle like at the waffle house...good food should take a little time! The server was efficient and friendly. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The Diner on Ft Jackson Blvd was one of our favorite go to places. It had a unusual and clever menu, nice decor, great food and an excellent staff. That has all changed. Being very understaffed caused many problems; no one to greet or seat you, several patrons having to get their own silverware, very slow ordering and delivery. The menu is now very basic and the execution was poor; greasy eggs and undercooked potato's. The French toast was the exception to the rule and quite good. The new lighting with bright bulbs in mason jars makes the wall paint appear poorly done and is hell on your eyes with excess glare. I can no longer recommend and am unlikely to return unless I find compelling future information very different from our experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I used to love going to this restaurant. We went at least once a week. Our last experience was awful and we are unlikely to go back again. The only reason to go back would be to give them one last shot.

The ownership of the restaurant changed in the last couple weeks, as did the cooking and menu.
Before the change, there were several healthy options with various salad and vegetable sides. The Diner used to have one of the best Greek salads in town. Now the majority of these options are gone. I ordered the grilled cheese since I could no longer order my favorite salad. It was ok.

Other people in my parties ordered the pancakes (short stack), the special of salmon and grits, the steak (can't remember the cut), and the chicken salad. The pancakes were good.
The salmon and grits were awful. The salmon had to be sent back 3X because it was grossly undercooked. I don't think the cook even put it back on the burner the second time. When it was finally cooked medium, it was described as flavorless.

The waiter came back several times to let us know that they were out of several things. This was after we placed our order. They were out of steak so the order was changed to meatloaf. They were out of hashbrowns for the pancakes so that was changed to grits. What kind of a diner which prides itself on selling breakfast "all-day, everyday" doesn't have hashbrowns?

There were three other tables that were being served at the same time as our own. One of the other tables was upset about one of the sauces for their entree. The sauce was supposed to be tartart sauce and the customer was clear that it was not tartar sauce. After complaining to the waiter, the cook came out and proceeded to tell the customer that they were wrong. Needless to say, this table left feeling like we did-disappointed and annoyed.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Back in November I gave The Diner a great review - because it deserved that review. Since then owners have replaced the excellent cooks Jamie and David with an individual who can't cook his way out of a paper bag, but who apparently was willing to invest in the place in order to have a job! I know that sounds harsh - and it pains me to say it since we have eaten there almost every day since November.

But last night it took 30 minutes for me to get a buffalo chicken sandwich. When it arrived it was dry. It took another 10 minutes for my wife to get a brownie - ordered at the same time!

Apparently someone had a really bad idea of making (and selling) pickles. I had one last night - it was limp, almost slimy, and edible only if you love garlic.

This morning I ordered pancakes, my wife an omelet. There were only three other tables in the restaurant. Two of these were in the room we were sitting in. Those two tables sent food back a combined FOUR times.

My pancakes came out after 30 minutes - without crispy bacon and with undercooked hash browns. My wife's omelet had apparently been burnt - but another one would be out in 45 seconds. When it did arrive, it was undercooked. It was sent back - and then we heard the cook, Drew, yellowing at the wait staff about how there was nothing wrong with the omelet and then throwing things.

I confronted him - and he told me that the omelet was fine. I told him that he was being a child and to never tell a customer they were wrong. What did he do after my wife and left - improve his cooking. Oh no. He fired the wait staff - since that is, naturally, the real problem, not his inability to cook.

Going to The Diner is like being on the set of Restaurant Impossible or Kitchen Nightmares. More food going back to be thrown away than coming out to be eaten. Orders botched. Food taking forever - and a cook that really ought not be cooking. I'm told that he is there - instead of the real cooks Jamie and David.

This will be my last review of The Diner - and my advice to others is to AVOID the place.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Diner is just up from Whole Foods on Jackson Blvd. The location has recently been Asian, then Mexican, but the Diner is making the location work. I had the meat loaf, collards and mashed potatoes which were very good. My wife had the chicken pot pie special which was a bit of a disappointment. The Diner had a special on specialty beer and I tasted a couple which were quite good. The staff was friendly and helpful. When you're in the neighborhood stop in for a tremendous diner experience.