“Fripp Island - Great Place for Families or Couples (Almost 30 Years of Experience)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fripp Island
Fripp Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fripp Island
Reviewed 17 June 2017

I have been going to Fripp Island for nearly 30 years (four generations of my family have visited), and I cannot think of another place quite like it - to say it is an undiscovered jewel among vacation destinations is an understatement. For those never having visited, Fripp is a small barrier island off South Carolina's coast. It is about 40 minutes from Beaufort SC, and the only access is via US Route 21 - with Fripp at the very end (any further and you are literally driving into the Atlantic). A point contributing to Fripp’s uniqueness is the lack of transient traffic. Passage through a security gate is requisite to enter, and a guest pass - obtained by either having a confirmed rental or being the guest of someone staying or living on the island (as there are private residences on Fripp) is required to gain access.

For those who thrive on destinations like Daytona, Myrtle Beach or Atlantic City (locations offering unlimited options for vacation fun), Fripp is definitely the antipathy of those settings – there are no theme or water parks, carpet golf courses, zip lines or bungee jumps. Instead, Fripp maintains the elements for those seeking the perfect focal point for intimate and cohesive family gatherings or even romantic retreats. First and foremost are the beautiful sandy beaches stretching along the eastern portion of the island, next are two fantastic golf courses (one of which is a true links course), then there are separate beach, tennis and cabana clubs, followed by beautiful bike and walking paths. There are also, several wonderful restaurants, a number of swimming pools throughout the island, and many great spots for both fishing and crabbing - for those longing for the perfect Frogmore Stew – as well as many other fantastic amenities.

The remoteness and privacy (i.e. Fripp truly is at “lands end”) - as well as all of the wonderful amenities offered - add to a truly distinctive experience I have found only Fripp has to offer. I have additionally found the management and staff at FIR to offer world - class professionalism, meeting and exceeding expectations by dealing with any issue either my family or I have encountered, in an efficient and effective manner for almost 30 years.

One item worthwhile mentioning due to the confusion surrounding it is the Amenity Card. The confusion is generally created, as there are a number of venues offering rentals at Fripp in addition to Fripp Island Resort. This card, available from FIR - or alternatively from a property owner (under clearly defined circumstances) - is required for access to any of Fripp’s attractions, other than those naturally occurring (e.g. like the ocean). Additionally, when issued by FIR, the card may be utilized for making purchases at many of the island’s amenities (similar in many ways to key cards utilized at many hotels and resorts). The confusion is generated when a property is rented from a venue other than FIR, as there may be no mention of the Amenity card requirement. Subsequently, the renter (unaware of the same), arrives at Fripp with the expectation of being able to fully utilize all of the wonderful conveniences, only to be told they cannot do so. Because of this requirement, the only manner a renter can ensure they have the capability to utilize all of Fripp’s amenities is to rent from FIR (with the noted exception of renting from a property owner with whom there is a personal relationship).

Room Tip: Fripp has a rating system for properties (Bronze - Platinum Level)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been trying to voice my concerns and dismay for recent rental I paid for and rented through FRIPP ISLAND RESORT. I have been visiting FRIPP since 2006 and I can honestly say this is the first time I have been disappointed with the rental. I truly enjoyed this being the place I chose for vacation, but after my recent visit i am not too sure i will return, if I do I will think again about renting through FRIPP. The unit clearly was not prepared for rental. I understand that the outside area suffered damage from the hurricane, which in understandable, but none of that was mentioned to me upon booking. The outside pool area was closed and the gate was destroyed. Which again is understandable, but knowing that maybe i should have been offered or told when booking in case i would have wanted to rent elsewhere on the island? It seems as if the that area took the hardest hit as well, which i also did not know.
In any case, upon arriving and trying to enter the unit at 9;30 in the evening, after a 14 hour drive, the pin code did not work. I had to search for someone to call since i was given little information upon checking in. The porch area was full or debris and even two nails laying on the porch.
Upon entering the unit, the carpet was so dirty! Clearly need to be cleaned or gotten rid of. The coffee table in the unit had no glass top. The sliding glass doors where locked with a piece of wood, and the lock itself was broke and rusted. The blind cord was broke making the blinds very difficult to shut. Metal shars were outside on the patio. I am not too sure where they came from and I did take a picture and leave for housekeeping, after i stepped on it. The can opener in the kitchen was all rusted and old and should have been replaced or removed. Garbage can lid was broken. Upstairs, there was no handle to close shower door once inside. The light in the shower was not working. Go to take a shower and water was not going down, only to pull out a huge amount of hair, that we also have photo of. Disgusting! to end this I go to vacuum to clean up a bit, and the vacuum sprays out dust all over me! I am just completely unsettled that this all happened, especially since it all could have been avoided had someone paid attention to the unit. All mentioned are all minor housekeeping issues. But, to come to an island like Fripp and have to walk into something like this is just disappointing to me. I worked hard all year to pay for this vacation and to walk into a place that had all this issues, is just disappointing.

I called Monday and spoke with Ashley who couldn't do anything. She said she would let her property manager know. It was not until Tuesday at around 3:30 that MISTY called me. I gave her my list and she stated she would let maintenance know. They would call me before they came. MISTY offered me $100 Fripp amenity dollars and I was OK with that at time because I thought someone was actually going to come and check the place out. No one did anything.

I have called since i left. Two times, spoke with TASHA, whom made the reservation. I asked her to have Misty call me back as i am not happy with my stay at FRIPP. This was Two weeks ago. No return calls. I tried again today and got Tasha whom transferred me again and it the line did was ring out. I could not even leave a message. I have emailed GUEST SERVICES and still no acknowledgement.
I really hate to say negative things about FRIPP but this situation and lack of acknowledgment to my issues makes me not to never go back there.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

This villa was beautiful. On the marsh. Very comfortable beds. All utensils you need to cook with. Made pizzas, baked blueberry muffins, cooked almost every night. Very clean and beautiful decorative. Me and my husband stayed with my son and his family, 6 all together, housed us all very comfortable. Only bad comment is and I think about all rooms on island have climate controlled heating and air. 72 lowest it will let you go in summer and 69° highest let you go in winter. The only cool place to sleep is in living room. Upstairs bedroom and master bedroom too warm. Upstairs felt like 85°. We didn't sleep well due to this. Would gave 5 star rating if wasn't for this. I think if you pay 2000 dollars for week, should at least be able to stay comfortable. Love Fripp island, but don't know if illegal come back due to hot and uncomfortable sleeping.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Family Reunion with 3 families coming to the resort for spring break.
First experience is the Gate Women Nazi whom treated the 4 cars from 3 families very rudely and unwelcoming. She had tremendous difficultly with more then one car that enter the resort at different times not allowing my Wife and Daughter in because my daughter was driving while wife was on the list. Same last name come on. Gate Nazi caused hard time when we tried to rent paddle boards and kayaks from off site location.
Worst is the Security Force/Police that is a complete small town force with a Chief, Captains... How is that funded you ask. Well they send their young go getters out at night to ticket whomever for whatever. My 17 year old daughter was ticketed for $200 for reckless driving because she panicked after seeing all the other golf carts pulled over being ticketing and hit the brakes too hard. The security officer came to the house to present the ticket and after a family member questioned the ticket and the intent had his supervisor about ready to arrest my adult sister. This security force has way too much policing power in the state of SC.

Positives where the golf course employees were more then friendly and accommodating. Island was well maintained but was dated for sure.

When you do anything they require your official island cards which I find funny since there is so much security at the gate. Just to eat at a restuarant you must present you cards, who wants to worry about carry those on vacation.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay at Fripp Island there are better chooses for your money and they do not want you
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank TruthISTold
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

We had a vacation planned for Hilton Head Island but the house we had rented two and a half months earlier was taken out of the rental program 2 hours before checking. We were able to find a home on Fripp Island and could not be more happy about this vacation. Great for a family or couples get away.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris S
Fripp_Island_Resort, Manager at Fripp Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Chris,
Thank you for the review! We're so glad you found us and had a great vacation. We hope that you'll plan another visit to Fripp Island Resort in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fripp Island
22.6 km away
The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
29.9 km away
Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island

Been to Fripp Island Resort? Share your experiences!