My husband and I stayed at this Marriott over the weekend. It was an unexpected detour for us. We were initially staying in Charleston for a wedding, but after a comedy of errors (to put it lightly) with the place we were renting there, we decided we wanted a real beach trip where we could relax and enjoy ourselves. We did some Trip Advisor searching and ended up calling this hotel on a whim to see what they had available. We weren’t looking to spend too much, so we told the very nice and friendly manager on the phone our story. I’m sure she could hear the exasperation and lack of sleep in my husband’s voice, and for someone who undoubtedly has to deal with cranky (or worse) guests day in and day out, she engaged us in a super pleasant conversation that put us at ease. To top it all off, she gave us a great deal on an oceanfront room. So off we drove to Hilton Head, not sure what to expect but ready to get there.
We checked in after 9pm. The evening front desk manager, Xavier, checked us in and told us that they unfortunately had oversold the oceanfront rooms that day. We could tell he was really trying to make things better for us, and he was so nice and polite and helpful. He put us in an ocean view room instead, and discounted our nightly rate accordingly. He told us we could switch to an oceanfront room the next day. We actually liked the ocean view room just fine, so we ended up staying in it, but the offer to switch was kind regardless. There were several wedding parties in the hotel this past weekend and the staff seemed to really be stretching themselves to accommodate all their requests and such, but the service we received definitely didn’t suffer at all. Xavier and all the other staff we dealt with were seriously some of the nicest and most professional of any hotel we’ve had the pleasure of visiting, even with our room issue.
The hotel itself is beautiful. It looks like a Marriott, and by that I mean it has that mid-20th-century modern look to it that was so popular back in the 60s and 70s. That being said, this hotel does NOT feel dated. The lobby looks freshly renovated and very stylish, and the rooms were similar to other Marriotts we’ve stayed at in the past. That’s a good thing. The common areas, hallways, pool area, and rooms themselves were all exceptionally clean. We saw custodians constantly cleaning. All the staff we encountered were very friendly, too. The pool bar made great beach drinks. The beds were heavenly. The beach area was large, and even though it was surprisingly crowded for an October weekend it did not feel overwhelming. We didn’t get a chance to try any of the food from the restaurants, but what we saw being served in the pool area looked (and smelled) quite good.
The only complaint we really had was about the beach chairs and umbrellas for rent. They cost $35/day for the first day, and after that it’s like $20. That seemed pretty standard for resorts on the beach. It’s run by an outside company, not the Marriott itself, so this in no way reflects on the hotel, but it’s worth noting that the chairs are all placed REALLY close together, so there’s no chance for privacy. You’re packed in right beside the other guests renting their chairs. For the price we paid, we’d have much preferred to be able to move our chairs/umbrella to a slightly less crowded area, especially since smoking is permitted on the beach and we were unfortunately next to a lady who decided the beach was the perfect setting to chain smoke a pack of Marlboros. Yuck. But again, this does NOT reflect on the hotel itself. Just something to keep in mind.
We will be coming back to this resort for sure. I can easily see it being our new go-to for quick beach getaways. We want to thank the staff, particularly the two managers we spoke with, for everything they did to make what started out as a disastrous trip to SC into an absolutely amazing weekend. We can’t wait to stay at the Marriott again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a premier oceanfront hotel at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Our world-class resort in Hilton Head, SC offers you an island escape in utter paradise. Enjoy newly renovated guestrooms, award-winning dining, three championship golf courses and spa. In addition, our distinctive Hilton Head oceanfront hotel's staff always delivers superior service to make your stay even more special. Our outstanding family-friendly retreat also offers a wide array of impressive amenities, including golf, tennis, biking, parasailing and so much more. Take advantage of our unbeatable location and enjoy easy access to a variety of nearby destinations, including local airports, shopping and popular tourist attractions. Plus, this Hilton Head resort provides dynamic event spaces, creating an ideal location to host your celebration or professional conference. Experience supreme relaxation and scenic views at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Head Marriott Resort And Spa
- Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Hilton Head
- Marriott Hilton Head