“It's everything they say it is and more!”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
richmond, VA
“It's everything they say it is and more!”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

If you have read the other positive reviews regarding the Sanctuary believe me, they are true! My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay and were overjoyed with the resort. The staff from the moment you check in are professional, efficient and pleasant. The rooms are beautifully appointed have soft lighting and spacious his and her closets. I was happy to see that the resort has gone "green" and recycles, although it is optional and never pushed! The foyer and sitting rooms on the main floor are sumptuous but inviting and the perfect place to get a drink from the bar and enjoying some private time in front of the fire, or on the rocking chairs which overlook the lawn and ocean! We ate at all the restaurants (which were open in the off season) and preferred the Atlantic room which is casual, has a diverse menu and overlooks the 18th hole of the Ocean course! You will feel like you are part of a movie set it is that perfect! Go there for lunch and then go back to watch the sun set! Spectacular!! There is a pond just beyond the parking lot where alligators were sunning themselves! The shuttle at the hotel will deliver you safely to/from any of the resort numerous market, golf, and restaurant locations. (tip your driver) This was a nice option in case you want to have a few drinks and because it was very dark at night (no street lights) and there was a lot of wild life roaming about! We chose to valet park our car (extra fee) but the self parking lot is just to the right of the front of the hotel and not an unreasonable walk if your luggage is on wheels. There is a very nice sunning area just off the pool, quiet and secluded. If you want a low key breakfast, try Beaches and Creme, they have nice breakfast sandwiches and coffees/drinks that will not break the bank but were yummy! Enjoy!

Room Tip: the "serene view" looks out onto the front of the hotel. If you can upgrade to ocean view...
1 Thank islagirlrichmond_VA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This was our third stay at The Sanctuary, but our first in one of the penthouse suites. All the rooms are great, but suite # 578 had wrap-around ocean-front views from the master bedroom. We could lie in bed and watch the sunrise over the Atlantic and Jack Nicklaus's Turtle Point golf course or could look straight out into the Atlantic to our right. Three balconies, two full bathrooms and luxurious decor make for a killer suite. The website photos can't fully display how relaxing, roomy and homey It is. It did not come cheap, but the off-season rates in March made it not quite as expensive and you will usually have some moderate weather days then. Doors to the balconies are very secure and dampen sound well. Staff gives you that "Southern Hospitality" and service is always impeccable. Restaurants in the hotel are very good to excellent, though pricy. My only quibbles about the food would be that some desserts were not as fantastic as you would expect and they have yet to learn how to make decent she crab soup. That said, The Ocean Room is a legitimate 4 Diamond quality restaurant with excellent wine choices. Our favorite dishes there were the 130 degree filet and the rare yellowfin tuna. The Atlantic Room at the Ocean Course is also excellent and has awesome views. You can work off the calories riding bikes, golfing, or just walking on the unspoiled beach. We enjoyed being pampered with a couples massage at the spa and had some much needed R & R. We love this place and we'll be back when we have the chance.

Room Tip: North side rooms facing Turtle Point golf course have best unobstructed views and are quieter than...
1 Thank 2Dox
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sanctuary for three days in March. The property is beautifully maintained and exudes "beachy elegance." I love that it is not decorated in an ostentatious manner (think new Homestead verses Palm Beach Breakers.) They do a great job incorporating the natural surroundings with luxury. I do not normally comment on housekeeping at a hotel, but the housekeeping at the Sanctuary was worth noting. Our room was spotless and always made to have that "first day" feel. We did receive turn down service every night. (I have been at other five star resorts where the turn down service is hit or miss.) It was a very nice touch. I loved the layout of the room and bathroom. The lighting is the best I have every seen with lots of individual spotlights with dimmers and motion detected lights in the closets! The beach is very accessible and easily viewed from all hotel rooms and various spots within the hotel. My negative comments would be that the quality of the restaurants is not what I would expect at a resort like this. On my first night, my husband was ill so I dined alone in the more casual Jasmine Porch. I ordered a cup of she crab soup, a side garden salad, and a glass of chardonnay. The she crab soup was the least impressive I have ever had--and I order it every chance I get. The pour on the wine was not generous. And my bill was $41. I expect to pay a premium at these places, but this was ridiculous. There are not many other options for dining, so I had brunch at the same restaurant two more times. It was fine, but not memorable in any way. I had to search for my bill every time I ate there. I also enjoyed a take out meal from the Ocean Restaurant and it was tasty. My other negative would be that the shops within the resort are rather sparse compared to other resorts of similar pricing. The proximity to Charleston, SC however, is very appealing and we did enjoy a night in Charleston.

toronto
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Outstanding hotel, great service. Clean fresh rooms, good restaurants, nice property. Island restaurants close fairly early with not much night life after 9:00pm but that's probably what the island is all about. Excellent golf courses with Ocean Course the best.

We would come back.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms definitely worth the extra cost.
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The Sanctuary is located on beautiful grounds! The lobby is lovely, warm & welcoming. You can sit for hours there in comfortable surroundings & enjoy the view of the ocean or enjoy drinks in the bar. The rooms are charming with large bathroom with soaking tub & separate shower! Ask for a room on upper floors with ocean view & enjoy sitting on your private balcony. There are excellent restaurants in the resort & several in the area! The Ocean Room & the Atlantic Room at the Ocean Course were our favorites! Prices are what you would expect at a Five Star Resort! We also enjoyed having drinks at the Ryder Cup Bar at the Oceans Course! If you're lucky you will enjoy a beautiful sunset there! The golf is great & spa for those who don't play golf. Staff is friendly & helpful. We look forward to returning to this exceptional resort!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms neither ocean views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,309 reviews
The Spectator Hotel
#7 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!