“Best Souvlaki I've Ever Had... Ever!”

Mediterranean Bistro
Ranked #101 of 903 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Reviewed 30 January 2016

From the outside you will certainly get the wrong impression of this place. It's in a very small strip mall (3 stores I think) with a gas station on the corner of it. The signage for the BBQ place next door dominates the place, so the Mediterranean Bistro kind of gets lost in it all - until you walk inside. This is a customer centric family business that is run with great care. The décor is simple but welcoming, the place is well kept and clean, the family is warm and friendly, and the food... the food is authentic and exceptional. My confidence was inspired!

When we walked in we were greeted by a young woman who showed us to a table and took our drink order. From the very outset you get the feeling this experience is all about you. My wife and I are big fans of Greek food, and we seek out the local Greek gem no matter what city we're in. Of course, some gems shine brighter than others. I noticed that the menu didn't include those Greek string beans that are stewed in a tomato sauce and melt in your mouth. I asked our waitress if they served them here. She said that they stopped serving them, because few customers ordered them and for those meals that came with them, they were often left uneaten. When I told her they were one of my favorite Greek foods, she said that perhaps if I called in advance, they would have them for me. You have to love a place that is so accommodating.

We both ordered the Avgolemono Soup and a small Greek Salad. The soup was rich, thick and hearty - delicious. The salad was very typical and also very good. It is my preference to have what most Greek restaurants call the Village Salad which is made without lettuce, but with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, olives and Feta cheese. Unfortunately, it was not on the menu. This is a relatively new business, and I suspect that as they mature, the menu will get broader.

My wife ordered the Pastitsio - her favorite. Pasitsio is akin to Italian lasagna in that it is a pasta and meat dish that is layered, and like lasagna, this can be a very heavy meal - but that's where the similarity stops. When she began eating and her eyes rolled, I knew it was excellent. When I asked her to describe it to me, she said that where many restaurants are heavy handed with the herbs and spices (mint, cinnamon and nutmeg), this was more delicate in it's preparation. Also, it somehow seemed lighter than what she's used to - a definite plus. Because Pastitsio is generally served in large portions, it is my wife's practice to cut it in half, eat half in the restaurant, and take half home for lunch. When her dish arrived, she did cut it in half, but she ate the whole thing in the restaurant... very unusual for her.

I ordered the Souvlaki Pita. The portion size was epic - it was bursting at the seams, and It was served to me piping hot. It was wrapped in a delicious pita that had been slathered with olive oil (I suspect) and toasted on the grill. The marinated pork simply melted in my mouth, the tomatoes onions and peppers were absolutely delicious, and it was anointed with the most delicious and unctuous tzaziki. As delicious as it was I could not finish it. My wife asked me to compare it to the best Souvlaki I've ever had. I couldn't do it, because that was the best I'd ever had.

We are on an extended vacation here in Myrtle Beach and we will be back to check out the other items on the menu. I just wish I could pack this place up and take it home with me. I'm going to miss it.

Reviewed 27 January 2016 via mobile

I was here twice during a visit to Myrtle beach and had gyros each time--one chicken and one lamb. I got the Greek salad as a side and for lunch without a drink and with tip it was about $10. Generous portions and excellent flavor. This appears to be a family run restaurant and everyone is very helpful and friendly. It is clean and simple and the food is good!

Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

Food and service outstanding. Best Greek cuisine in town. Clean, pleasant environment. Mostly locals. We eat here weekly and always see friends here.

Reviewed 26 November 2015 via mobile

What a great place to have dinner! A nice change from all the seafood restaurants in the area. Will definitely come back.

Reviewed 7 November 2015

I ordered the sampler platter for $12.50 and needed a doggy box to finish it, had it the next day for lunch. When I got back to the condo, the others in our group were trying to take the doggy box away from me. The Pastichio was the best I have ever had. The Greek salad was a meal in its self and very good. This is a new place in town and apparently word has gotten around quickly as to the quality and favor of their food. The place was quite crowded plus a lot of carry-outs. Our whole group is planning to go there for dinner next year.