“Hidden Gem!”

Ranked #135 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
TodVogelsang
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I've been coming to Myrtle Beach on business twice a year for the past 14 years, and just found this property. I've stayed at many of the Choice Hotel properties between the airport, and the convention center, as my company has a special rate plan with Choice Hotels, and the Clarion is flat out, the nicest, cleanest, and best value I've found. Over the past 12 years, I've stayed roughly 140-160 nights a year at Choice Hotels, and this property is truly in their top 10%. If I ever come here with my family, this is where we will stay. Go to their web site, and check out the pics. The hotel is off the beaten path just a little, but it's quiet. The staff is first class, I was a little nervous upon landing at the airport and calling the hotel for the shuttle, and learning they didn't have a driver to come pick me up, but the girl at the front desk told me to grab a cab, "There Were Plenty Waiting" and they would pay the fare once I got to the hotel, which they did. It actually worked out better, as I didn't have to wait for a ride! The hotel has 2 pools, and a great little bar with light food. The beer was ICE COLD! My room was fairly large, didn't have a flat screen, I don't watch much TV so I didn't really care, but it did have the upscale bedding, and thick comfortable mattress you normally find at the higher end hotels. The room had a large desk for business travelers, and at least on the 3rd floor, a very strong and fast internet connection. One other nice benefit, is directly next door to the hotel "2 min Walk" is the Boat Dock, a VERY popular restaurant/bar. I ate lunch there twice, and dinner once, and the food was great. It's a locals hang out, and I'm told during the summer, on Sunday nights it's the place to be.

Room Tip: I picked a king room, and it was very nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TodVogelsang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed her for New Years Eve so we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel except to sleep. The lobby is beautiful. Our room was clean but the room and the hallway could use some updating. Our beds were decent but when they say double bed it really isn't meant for 2 people. We were kind of tight in it. I wouldn't mind staying here again if only for 1 but not more then 2 nights. Anything longer and I would definitely stay somewhere else. This is also not the place to stay in the warmer weather.

It is not the place to stay if you want to be in the middle of everything or on the beach. We went down for New Years so it suited us fine to not be on or near the beach and because it is out of the way it was quiet for New Years and we were able to sleep when we got back to the room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The hallway smelled like a litter pan and the Walsall and doors were beat up, paint flaking and the cleanliness well let's just say I didn't even take a shower there. I will try to post the pics I took. My advice is stay somewhere else. The location is awful too and hard to get to. As I was leaving there was a fire.... Go figure.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Natmo3
jderossc439, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
I would like to personally apologize for the problems that occurred during your stay. These reviews help us to know what we are doing well and what we need to improve on. I have addressed these issues and would like to talk to you personally. Please call me at 843-236-1007.
David Dozier

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Great room, great bed and bath, great service! Very relaxing after days of holiday traveling. Two things keep me from bumping my recommendation to a '5'. First, the location is not the best in this seaside town - especially given that the development where it is located has not fared well in the current economic miasma. Second, '5's have flat screen tv's. not tube tv's. My room has a tube tv.

• Stayed December 2011
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Being from Charleston, Myrtle Beach was always a fun summer getaway as a kid. Now,as an adult living in Virginia we go to MB every time we visit Charleston-several times a year. Before we stayed at Clarion, we would stay in whatever hotel was the cheapest and had the best reviews. We stayed at Clarion on our trip at the start of the summer. I remembered it being a Holiday Inn from my trips as a kid, and really didn't know what to expect. The room we had faced out towards the old Waccamaw outlets and the former Hard Rock Park (opposite the Waterway). It was a nice room, with lots of room. Enjoyed the balcony too. A few minor things could have been updated, but it was definitely clean. Parking wasn't an issue when we were there. Only thing I wish was different is that there be a fridge and microwave in the room. Being in MB, and going to the beach it would be helpful to have a fridge to keep drinks cold while not in a cooler. Will definitely look into staying here at Clarion again on our next trip. Can't beat the location, and proximity to everything-without being right in the thick of the "tourist" areas of MB.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
jderossc439, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
We are happy that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and we are happy to say that all our rooms now have refrigerators in them. We hope to see you again soon.
David Dozier-General Manager