“Great, family friendly resort”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #45 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 September 2016

We enjoyed this resort so much. We had a great price through Groupon. The hotel was being renovated by Hilton, and most of renovating was done by the time of our arrival. I had read previous negative reviews, but we found it to be a very nice resort. Our room was very nice and had a good view of resort and ocean. The pool areas were very nice. We would have liked to have had restrooms that were more handy to pool area, but maybe that will be in future renovating. The fishing and walking pier was so handy. We spent a great deal of time on it. So much fun to watch the people fishing. Bait shop, gift shop and restaurant located right on the pier.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,866)

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Let me start by saying, I grew up going to this 'resort' as it is called now. I have very fond memories of this place and I will most definitely be returning.
Don't let any of the negative reviews deter you from visiting. If you don't know, this was recently bought by Hilton and is being renovated into a Doubletree Resort. It was called Springmaid Beach. Do your homework on how this place began. You'll find it quite intriguing. When you do, you'll also find that it's been around for a LONG time. With that said, there's a Lot that has to be done to make it equal to other Hilton properties. They have already done a lot of good work including tearing down the oldest hotel building and restaurant and rebuilding, but there is still more to do. But with what I've seen they are really doing a great job!
We stayed in a room with 2 queen sized beds. The rooms were clean, beds were very comfy, towels were oversized and plush. Yes, the sink is on the outside of the bathroom beside one of the beds, but that's how it was originally. I don't find this unusual from other hotel stays. Even Homewood Suites has the sink outside the bathroom near the beds. The air conditioning units work great, but do need to be updated/replaced because of rust(it is oceanfront). The best part is each room has an ocean view and balcony! The property is in a great beach front location just down from Myrtle Beach State Park on the south side of Myrtle Beach that isn't as populated. It is by the airport, but it's cool to watch the planes and helicopters take off. The grounds are well kept and the pier makes for great fishing or hanging out! There are several restaurants on the property. Even a new market to purchase prepackaged sandwiches, fruit, Danishes, muffins, etc which are great for taking to the beach or the pool. There are several pools(indoor and out) and lazy rivers at both buildings. Oh, and there is a putt putt course by the registration building. It could definitely use some updating, but was fun to play.
Overall, this is a great and relaxing place to stay. We will be returning soon!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2016

My husband and I booked through Groupon and got a good rate. We hadn't been on vacation alone in 6 years, so it was a short 4 day weekend for us to get away. Other reviewers have been a bit too harsh.

The resort is literally on the beach, and we had a beautiful view (as our room was an end unit). I could see where other travelers would complain if they had their balcony in the middle of the building, so asking for an end unit is probably the best bet. You can tell all rooms had recent facelifts; the beds are still Hilton though, and that's the best part!

The onsite restaurant Southern Tide Grill was fine. Food was actually pretty good but the wait staff is slower than slow. I actually saw servers wrapping silverware during the lunch rush. We ate here twice; once when we first arrived, as our room wasn't ready, and then again for lunch when we discovered our in room fridge wasn't working very well. The maintenance man on site was very apologetic about the fridge and gave us a card for complementary lunch.

The housekeeping staff leaves MUCH to be desired! I don't know if there are just not enough housekeepers or if they are just slow moving, but I think our room was cleaned only once during our stay. When I would call the front desk, I could tell she was frustrated and that this was a repeat issue.

The new pool was lovely, the beach clean, and if you are able to pack your own beach chairs and towels, do so! The chairs on the beach are not complementary, and the towels at the pool are like tiny hospital towels.

There are many growing pains here, however, you can tell the staff is trying to make it work, and the location itself was so central to where we wanted to be, that I really can't complain much. By this time next year, I am sure it will be a well oiled machine.

Room Tip: Ask for an end unit
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

My family came down for a few days. We knew there would be construction so no big deal. When we arrived early we thought we'd have to beach it for awhile. We've done it before but nope. The VERY helpful lady checked us in right then. Earliest we have gotten the room ever. The room was nice but the view....oh my goodness. We had the side view but it seemed ocean front view. The pier was super cool. Our daughter loved it. We didn't bother with the pools too much as we are here for the beach. The beach not crowded, clean, and most of all beautiful. A piece of heaven for us. All the employees we met were super nice. Even noticed the security guard walking property at night. Was the hotel perfect? No , but we haven't found a perfect hotel in Myrtle Beach.yet. I just want people to see that if you look for negatives you'll find them. As for my family we were blessed to have stayed on thus beautiful beach.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2016

Do not stay!!! Avoid at all cost!!! They front desk staff is inconsiderate of travellers that are tired and hungry. Sent to the wrong room, looked at the room key pouch and the incorrect room number was written on it as well. While waiting for another key as I thought the key was demagnatized. I called down to the front desk to verifyt the room number and was told that the room I was at was incorrect, solo nonchalantly. I will NEVER deviate from the MARRIOTT brand when traveling for leisure!!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Management response:Responded 27 September 2016

Hello and thank you for your feed back. We rely on all our customers reviews to improve both the service and product of our hotel. I would first like to apologize for any frustration or inconvience you experienced while staying with us. We strive to provide each of our guests with a perfect stay. I am so sorry that we did not provide that to you. Rest assured that I take these issues very seriously and will personally be addressing these issues. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with this important information! I do hope that we get to have you as our guest again to show you the customer service we are indicative of providing!