“The worst hotel of our trip”

Quality Inn Coliseum
Ranked #46 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night on 21st August after the eclipse as it was the only place available. Having stayed in another quality inn previously we we fairly confident that this place would be similar; how wrong we were. The room was filthy, I dread to think what the huge stain on the bedside lampshade was but it had grown a coating of mould. The bed was clean and comfortable but the bathroom was dirty and damaged and the basin not just cracked but smashed. By 8:05am the hotel had run out of almost all breakfast foods, no milk, no butter, no fruit, etc and no matter how many times we asked it was not replenished. The lady on the front desk would not get up from her seat and get anything for the hungry guests. Then to make things even worse we returned, hungry to our room to find that there was no hot water and so we had to leave without a shower or breakfast. Absolutely the worst motel I have ever stayed in. I appreciate the place was full but if a hotel cannot operate when it's at maximum capacity then it isn't fit for purpose and with months of advance warning that the place would be full on eclipse day it is indefensible to not have stocked up on breakfast foods. Avoid this place.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzanne H

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

The location is great just about 15 mins to downtown. Other than that, there is nothing going positive for this. Since most hotels were sold out for total solar eclipse I ended up staying here. There is water leakage everywhere around the hotel. The surroundings were just too dirty. There was not much of a breakfast. Who runs out of banana by 8am? Some of the staff were nice and others not so. I would never stay in another choice hotel going forward.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Selvichrista
Reviewed 22 August 2017

First of all, They gave us a non working telephone. We found that out when we tried to called for a wake up call. The tv remote had the batteries upside down. When I asked for a standalone computer to print out our boarding passes, the front desk agent literally yelled at me (like how dare I ask) and then told me that some of the telephones in the rooms are non operable and we just had to deal with it. I wanted to check out right then and there, but my husband wanted to stay until the 11am checkout time. After I told housekeeping that we were still in the room (she was nice), Some guy banged on the door and told us that we had to get out (it was 10:50). Being in the hospitality profession, I was appalled at the extreme rudeness and dishonesty of the staff. That being said, the 1 star was for the comfortable bed. Any motel I ever stayed at, no matter how small, always had a standalone computer for printing boarding passes. Also, they sold drinks for $1, but did not have any diet. My only regret is that I should have stayed at the Motel 6 for more money. Money was not an issue, but it was impossible to get a reservation during the eclipse eve.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a working telephone (don't assume anything) they lie. Stay somewhere else if...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

I was looking for a place for my girlfriend and I to spend the night while she was in town. The location is great. It's not hard to find and there's a Walmart, Sam's, and a lot of restaurants in the area. If you're hungry or need to pick of something you might've forgot you won't have to travel far from the hotel. The beds are comfortable and the room was nice and cool when we checked in. I have three issues with the hotel. First, the hotel said on the website where I made my reservation said no locals within 30 miles of the hotel. I called to check on that because I'm about 40 miles away and wanted to see if that would be an issue. The guy on the phone said that they don't make reservations for people within 50 miles. I had to quickly call my girlfriend and have her switch information out with me or I would've lost the reservation. If that's the case jus make the corrections on your website. Secondly, there were spider webs in our room (123) and later that night while I was in the bathroom I killed a spider that decided to invite himself in (thought he could crash our stay). Have cleaning go back and sweep the ceilings in the rooms and the bathroom. Finally was the wifi. The signal would always vary. Sometimes it was good sometimes it would run slow. It might've been cause of where our room was located. I'm not sure. But we really did enjoy our stay. They staff are nice and friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who may be headed to Charleston, SC.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

We stumbled upon this place after leaving a terrible hotel. The staff was very friendly, the grounds were clean, the room was a smoking room (which we asked for) it didn't smell of smoke. The bed was comfortable and the shower was more than great! Such a nice place!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple