“STAY AWAY”

Baymont Inn & Suites Walterboro
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Walterboro
Reviewed 10 September 2017

The conditions of this hotel were SO bad that I could not even stay overnight. I visited the location on September 9th 2017 when my family and I were escaping hurricane Irma. We did not have reservations to any of the hotels nearby, which were selling out by the minute. After 10+ hours on the road (and knowing we just needed a 1 night stay) we decided to book 2 rooms due to their price, room availability, and pet acceptance (our Husky was escaping Irma, too).

- Location: right off of 95, which is a true convenience.

- Check in: this was fast and efficient. The young lady at the front desk was friendly and my heart felt for her because she was trying her best to be friendly while multitasking. She must have taken at least 10 phone calls while trying to check me in. Not once did she stop smiling (kudos to her, Management!)

- Rooms: we booked 2 rooms and they were an absolute nightmare. First, one of the rooms had its door wide open when we arrived. Though we booked 2 queen beds for each room, one of the rooms had 1 queen bed and a sofa bed, which we later learned that it is meant to count as 2nd bed. The gnat bugs flying around the property certainly took habitat in that room. The awesome girl at the lobby quickly tried to assist and asked for 1 hour to get another room ready. My family of 4 decided to wait in my room and we could barely do so. My room reeked of smoke even though it was supposed to be a smoke-free room. I was cognizant of the fact that a low rate does not mean resort quality, but the room was simply neglected. Although the beds were made (which leads me to believe the room was "attended" by a staff member) the furniture was really dusty as if it had not been cleaned for months. The bedsheets were stained, and some stains looked like plain old blood. The shower had a used soap still in the soap holder. The toilet seat was half the size of the toilet bowl. The amenities on the sink were dusty too, the ice bucket had, what seemed to be, an inch of dust all over. It took forever for the AC to cool off, which made the smell of the dirty carpet even worse. While on the beds, we decided we would not stay and used the incredibly slow Wi-Fi to look for other hotels. This was really challenging because the room was hot and the smell was unbearable. When we closed the drapes to help the room cool off faster, a plethora of gnat bugs came flying out. It was time to go.

When we went back to the front desk to cancel our reservation, we had to wait because there were 2 other families cancelling their reservations as well. They, too, had blood stains on their bed sheets, and another one complained about the gnat bugs.

The front desk girl quickly cancelled our reservation and she was apologetic about the situation, but this was entirely not her fault. She was great at the job she was hired to do; customer service.

- Management: you have severely dropped the ball at the cleanliness of your rooms and, just as importantly, the QA of those rooms before they're offered to your extremely tired guests. The housekeeping Supervisor needs to be fired asap.

If I, someone driving from Miami for 10+ hours escaping Irma, knowing this was probably the last available hotel in town could not even stay past 1 hour here, then please believe me when I urge you to keep looking. I drove 20 more miles north and found another hotel for the same price and I am glad I did so.

It is not about the price or about the "you can't ask for much when paying such a cheap rate." It's about hospitality and the fundamentals of cleanliness that should be common sense.

I am currently at a hotel for which I paid the exact same rate and the rooms are spotless.

Room Tip: Rooms not at this hotel are better.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites
Management response:Responded 2 September 2017

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

When we came in the hotel it was nice, smelled good, and clean. Our room was right by the pool( wich we loved!) It was clean with new floors and fresh paint... Still had a slight smell from it, But it was nice. The pool was the best part according to the kids lol. They are doing a lot of upgrades to the place and it's working for them! We would recommend you stay here! I Know we will be back in 3 weeks!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are working very hard to upgrade our rooms and property. We are working on any issues with the rooms. We will look into a smell in the room. We look forward to providing accommodations for you during your next trip.

Clarissa R.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Check in was very easy. The room was nice and clean. The staff were very friendly and answered any questions we had. The breakfast was very nice in the morning, great eggs. This was everything we expected.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you had a good experience with us. We are working hard to make improvements. We hope you stay with us again in the future.

Monique