The conditions of this hotel were SO bad that I could not even stay overnight. I visited the location on September 9th 2017 when my family and I were escaping hurricane Irma. We did not have reservations to any of the hotels nearby, which were selling out by the minute. After 10+ hours on the road (and knowing we just needed a 1 night stay) we decided to book 2 rooms due to their price, room availability, and pet acceptance (our Husky was escaping Irma, too).
- Location: right off of 95, which is a true convenience.
- Check in: this was fast and efficient. The young lady at the front desk was friendly and my heart felt for her because she was trying her best to be friendly while multitasking. She must have taken at least 10 phone calls while trying to check me in. Not once did she stop smiling (kudos to her, Management!)
- Rooms: we booked 2 rooms and they were an absolute nightmare. First, one of the rooms had its door wide open when we arrived. Though we booked 2 queen beds for each room, one of the rooms had 1 queen bed and a sofa bed, which we later learned that it is meant to count as 2nd bed. The gnat bugs flying around the property certainly took habitat in that room. The awesome girl at the lobby quickly tried to assist and asked for 1 hour to get another room ready. My family of 4 decided to wait in my room and we could barely do so. My room reeked of smoke even though it was supposed to be a smoke-free room. I was cognizant of the fact that a low rate does not mean resort quality, but the room was simply neglected. Although the beds were made (which leads me to believe the room was "attended" by a staff member) the furniture was really dusty as if it had not been cleaned for months. The bedsheets were stained, and some stains looked like plain old blood. The shower had a used soap still in the soap holder. The toilet seat was half the size of the toilet bowl. The amenities on the sink were dusty too, the ice bucket had, what seemed to be, an inch of dust all over. It took forever for the AC to cool off, which made the smell of the dirty carpet even worse. While on the beds, we decided we would not stay and used the incredibly slow Wi-Fi to look for other hotels. This was really challenging because the room was hot and the smell was unbearable. When we closed the drapes to help the room cool off faster, a plethora of gnat bugs came flying out. It was time to go.
When we went back to the front desk to cancel our reservation, we had to wait because there were 2 other families cancelling their reservations as well. They, too, had blood stains on their bed sheets, and another one complained about the gnat bugs.
The front desk girl quickly cancelled our reservation and she was apologetic about the situation, but this was entirely not her fault. She was great at the job she was hired to do; customer service.
- Management: you have severely dropped the ball at the cleanliness of your rooms and, just as importantly, the QA of those rooms before they're offered to your extremely tired guests. The housekeeping Supervisor needs to be fired asap.
If I, someone driving from Miami for 10+ hours escaping Irma, knowing this was probably the last available hotel in town could not even stay past 1 hour here, then please believe me when I urge you to keep looking. I drove 20 more miles north and found another hotel for the same price and I am glad I did so.
It is not about the price or about the "you can't ask for much when paying such a cheap rate." It's about hospitality and the fundamentals of cleanliness that should be common sense.
I am currently at a hotel for which I paid the exact same rate and the rooms are spotless.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wander Through Walterboro Off I-95 near USC-Salkehatchie and Great Swamp Sanctuary Our Baymont Inn & Suites Walterboro hotel is conveniently located off I-95 on Route 63, a short drive from the University of South Carolina-Salkehatchie and Great Swamp Sanctuary. We’re situated just southwest of the Walterboro Historic Downtown District, 20 miles north of the Donnelley Wildlife Management Area, 50 miles northwest of Edisto Island, and 25 miles south of St. George. Our immediate access to major highways makes it easy to reach prominent cities such as Savannah, Charleston, and Augusta. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Baymont Inn & Suites Walterboro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn And Suites
- Quality Hotel Walterboro
- Quality Inn Walterboro
- Walterboro Quality Inn