“Unique Dining Experience ”
Review of Caramella

Caramella
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in Kingston
Description: Private dinning ,by reservations only . Wedding events . Cooking classes . Reserve for group lunches . Usually open for every Friday and Saturday .
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

A friend of ours had been wanting to eat here for several months, so we made reservations for his birthday. It did not disappoint! Chef/owner Andras and his wife Lisa were friendly and welcoming, and took care to make sure we had a wonderful time. The restaurant itself is charming and quirky. The food was outstanding! There is no menu; it is a 5 course chef's menu based on what is fresh and in season. Our meal included a salad with roasted apricots and smoked Gouda; a cod and shrimp dish with an incredible fresh tomato sauce; and filet of beef with a yummy sauce, roasted potatoes and fresh vegetables. The chef also made a German chocolate cake for the birthday celebration.

If you are in East Tennessee and want a unique and incredible dining experience, I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

Our group of neighbors decided to kick off the holiday weekend with a meal at Caramella's and we were glad we did! First of all, reservations are highly recommended, as this meal is somewhat uncharacteristic of restaurants in the area (allow at least 2 hours). Our meal was 5 courses that included halibut and beef tenderloin (see pictures) with a blueberry cobbler to finish. Herbs and vegetables are picked fresh and your palette will appreciate it! Our reservations were made a few weeks in advance but we did have a large group. Priced very reasonably and you can bring in your own wine!

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visited Carmello's on June 30 along with several other couples. The place is set up for reservation only dining and large groups designed to fill the restaurant. The menu is set up as a chefs menu with no ordering options besides what he's chosen.
I apologize I can't remember the chefs name. However he was very engaging man who was born in Hungary and immigrated to the United States. It was interesting to hear him tell his stories.
The decor was very very casual with unique knickknacks placed around the room. The setting is very close to the lakefront with open air seating when you open up the bay to bay windows.
We were served a six course meal starting with Italian stuffed meatballs stuffed with a mushroom compote reduction. The salad course was well presented but nothing special. A fresh grouper course followed that had been caught within 48 hrs and did it disappoint. Beef tenderloin with the same mushroom reduction as the meatballs was served next. It was seared to perfection then sautéed with the shrooms. This was accompanied by fresh green beans from the chefs garden.
Completing the meal was a (again) fresh blueberry cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream and mint sprig.
What was the price for all of this wonderful fresh food? $35 a head!!! His policy is bring your own spirits, which makes it both a delicious and economical choice! My wife and I would highly recommend anytime you have a chance to eat in Kingston and can make plans ahead.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

This is a cozy, romantic restaurant with gourmet food in an area where I expected to find only country cooking. We went with friends while visiting a nearby town and found the Hungarian owner and chef, Andras to be charming and accommodating. The food was cooked to perfection and there wasn't a single thing that was served that night that we didn't like. The filet was particularly tender. You can tell that he and his wife care about the ingredients and are very thoughtful in creating an inviting environment. I would go back again and again if I lived nearby.

1  Thank MinkysMom
Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

We live in a major metropolitan area and have access to hundreds of restaurants. We can unequivocally say our dinner last night was among the most memorable dining experiences we have ever had! Andras is not what you would expect from a chef in a small Tennessee community. The food was remarkable but the individual attention and the cozy atmosphere is so unique. We enjoyed a bottle of wine while looking out over the lake. The chef and his wife made us feel like we were at a private dinner party. I read through some of the negative comments regarding people's interaction with him and it makes me chuckle a little. He is from Hungary. What people are picking up on is cultural - not rudeness. We found him to be entertaining and very caring. He is a fabulous ambassador for his small community! Make reservations in advance -he only serves a handful of people each day - which is part of the charm in my opinion. If you like a Ruby Tuesday or Olive Garden - then this is not your cup of tea! If you like world class cuisine and an intimate setting - this is a must see/visit. Five stars all the way!

1  Thank PennieBuffington

Been to Caramella? Share your experiences!