“Good Korean Restaurant....good thing, since its the only Korean restaurant....”

Kaya Korean Restaurant
Ranked #251 of 1,207 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Kaya is the only Korean restaurant in Knoxville, although some of the pan-Asian restaurants have Korean dishes on their menu.

The interior of Kaya looks just like casual restaurants look in Korea...and I have been there. I was greated by an older man, who quickly brought me tea and icewater.

The menu is surprisingly good. There are about a half dozen lunch specials. The main menu has a half dozen appetizers, a couple of salads, a couple of bipimbop dishes, a variety of casseroles, a number of stews, and, of course, Korean BBQ which is Bulgogi.

I ordered Dolsot Bipimbop, which is a dish with rice, veggies, kimchi, a fried egg and beef, which is cooked in a stone bowl, and comes to the table hot and sizzling. It was very good, although not a huge portion.

The restaurant was about half full at noon on Tuesday, and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food. There were 2 Korean girls next to me having a casserole of beef and octopus with vegetables, which is cooked at the table in a broth. It comes with a variety of great looking condiments to tailor the dish you individual tastes. I also saw a Korean pancake with seafood, and a beef and noodle dish called, I believe "Japjae"

I look forward to bringing my wife back so I can order one of the casseroles for two people...looked just like the dish we had for lunch in Seoul...

Reviewed 15 September 2016

Have never ordered off the menu, have only eaten buffet. Not the best Korean I've ever had BUT it's still delicious and they have a good variety for the buffet.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

I gave an average review due to the prices and the so so buffet on the weekends. I have been here around 8 times in the last 6 months. This is the ONLY Korean restaurant with 100 miles of where I live so I really have no other choices other than cooking myself. We've had the table bbq (galbi and poor bulgogi) which was very good but very very expensive and we were still hungry after the meal. We've been there for lunch and dinner. I definitely recommend going at lunch since the serving sizes are exactly the same. The problem is I've been spoiled living in other cities that have fantastic Korean restaurants where you get a lot for your money with plenty to take home. The buffet is bad because all the food is room temperature. Nothing is hot! I hope another Korean restaurant opens in the Knoxville area or I'll have to start making my own banchan.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Full disclosure: I know nothing about Korean food. So whether or not this is "real" Korean food, or "good" Korean food is beyond me. With that said, on a Saturday night the place was packed with people of recent Asian descent, so it must fit the bill for many folks who know what's real and good.

As for me, I had beef Bulgogi, spicy. It was very tasty. Nicely sweet and spicy. The portion size was well sufficient for a large male (me). My wife had Teriyaki Chicken and said it was very good. The side dishes (served family style for our group of 7) were interesting. The Kimchi, quite tasty.

The service was great. The lady running the place served us. Her attitude was a just-appropriate mix of friendliness and snark. :-)

Good place. Check it out.

Reviewed 27 August 2016

This is my go to Korean restaurant in Knoxville! I recommend the beef bulgogi, or the seafood pancake. It is really amazing. With Korean food you get a lot of complimentary side items so it is always nice. The staff is iffy... depending on your relationship with them they may treat you badly or nicely. They treat me very nicely.