New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Citywest Hotel

Citywest Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saggart
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Place for our Convention!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here for our world championship Irish step dancing competition in April, 2011, and could not have enjoyed the facility and surrounds more. What a wonderful resort. The rooms were nicely done, and the convention facilities were wonderful for our group. I felt that there was a nice mix between the historical part of the facility, and the more contemporary convention facilities, which really made it the best of both worlds.

The entry into the facility, with that long tree-lined drive is second to none.

The staff was very accommodating across the board. The only thing that would have been even nicer was having the LUAS stop open to get into Dublin more directly - and that is now open, so no complaints there!
My mother came with us for her first trip to Ireland, and really enjoyed having a taste of historical Ireland. We loved our walks into the village, and even without the direct LUAS stop (I so want to go back now that that is open), our trek into Dublin was wonderful. The LUAS was so convenient and easy!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This was our first hotel stay in Ireland and we were a bit nervous until we opened the door. This was a very nice room and the quietest of our 3 hotels we stayed in during our trip to Ireland. The room was clean and the shower was good. The common area was great for a pint or two and was comfortable to just sit in. We did not eat at all in this hotel as we were only there for one night. The short 5 minute walk to the tram was extremely convenient and took right to the Center of Dublin as well as the Guinness storehouse. This was the perfect location to test our American driving skills from the airport to here.

• Stayed February 2012
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed here several nights in 2011 and several in 2012 with an Irish dancing group.
Last year, hated the place beyond words. We were in an average room that was dark, ugly, old. And that was after I changed room 3 times in search of a better room. Stayed in the best of the 3 and it was horrible and depressing. This time paid a bit extra to stay in an updated room. A WORLD of difference it was. The new room was like a typical nice hotel room, like a Hilton.
Bathroom was clean and nice, room was cheerful. Television had about 5 stations, 2 of which were like MTV music videos, 2 news and maybe one other. I dont know if that is all there is on tv in Ireland or just the hotel is cheap about its tvs.
It is a great venue for a large event as it has many ballrooms. I did not deal with the front desk at all this time so I can't comment on how helpful the staff is.
The only decent food on the property is the Thai restaurant, Lemon Grass where I have now had about 6 meals. The food is good but super expensive.
Here is my big helpful tip for you if you are going: There is a restaurant down the street, about few minute walk. (Go to the end of the parking lot to the street and turn right). It is called Anvil Bistro. We went in 2011 when they were in a tiny place and this year, much, much larger. The food is unbelieveably great. I mean great. They should have a Michelin one star. We actually went twice this time, once for a fixed price Valentines' menu and the next night I was alone so ate in the bar. Everything is delicious. So, why spend a fortune on so so hotel food? spend your fortune at the Anvil. The service is also terrific.
So that is your tip on CityWest.
If you don't care about staying in Dublin Citywest could be just fine. You can also walk about 15 min to a tiny shopping mall where there is a Dunns (or was it Marks and Spencer) and a Johnny Rocket type cafe.
I would not go to CItywest while in Dublin except our event was there. If you are going to Dublin, stay in Dublin for the atmosphere, but if you are going to Saggart or going to an event at CItywest this hotel is just fine as long as you pay the extra for the updated room. Trust me, don't skimp on this. The difference between the old rooms and the updated is huge!!
also, if you use the fitness center there--good luck. The girls at the desk couldnt care less. I waited and waited and waited just to check in. they checked me in. I went to locker room and discovered you have to get a lock at the front desk so had to go back and wait and wait again. Kind of a Seinfeld thing if you know what I mean. Got a very different kind of combo lock that I couldnt figure out so I sure wasnt going back to wait for the 3rd time. (By the way, they weren't busy, just couldnt care less). So I took my coat and change of clothes with me to the work out room because I just wanted to use the treadmill for half and hour and had already burned up so much time waiting for the lazy check in girls.

Room Tip: YOU MUST get an updated room--trust me--pay for it or you will regret it in the case of this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ElizabethStreetMoM
johnofarrell2, Director of Operations at Citywest Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your feedback . I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have taken note on any of your constructive comments and will address them accordingly . I am glad to hear that you were impressed by the accomodation on our new wing and we look forward to welcoming you back to Citywest Hotel on your next visit . Please ask for myself upon arrival and I will ensure you receive the attention we give all our guests .Again Thank you for your comments .

Kind Regards

John O' Farrell
Director of Operations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

This hotel is a fair bit outside Dublin, especially if you are relying on public transport. So it's not great if you want to include city tourism in your trip. But as a conference venue it is really good. The conference centre is right next door to the hotel, and can accommodate a large number of people (we had around 500).

The rooms are spacious and tasteful with good work areas. The lobby and other common areas in the hotel are also very spacious, and there are many tables, chairs and sofas scattered around where you can work during the day and enjoy a drink/chat in the evening. The hotel also has a number of restaurants/bars and there's a broad range of breakfast options to cater for different tastes.

What lets the place down is service. Smiles and welcoming greetings were in short supply when I checked in. When I got to my room, I was surprised to see that someone was already occupying that room! Luckily no one was in, as that could have given us both quite a fright. I was expecting quite an apologetic response from the hotel staff when I asked for an unoccupied room, but it was more a mixture of shrugging shoulders and nervous laughter.

Throughout my stay the staff were a bit inattentive and lacking in general courteousness. And when I left, I stupidly forgot my laptop mouse in my room. I emailed the hotel, twice, to ask how much it would cost for them to send it back (I had grown fond of it), but I never received any email back; even to say that they were unable to send it to me.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Johannes P
Homer Glen, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This lovely hotel and conference center is tucked about 30min outside of Dublin. The hotel has a very comfortable atmosphere right from the entrance. They have a very nice lobby bar with plenty of group seating (which we used very well!). You can have sandwiches there or afternoon tea and sweets. Very nice. The restaurant has a decent menu, really liked the curry chicken, our friends loved the fish selections. The kids ordered kiddie cocktails and were surprised with fabulous sugar rimmed, fruited, umbrella drinks! A real treat! My daughter is gluten intolerant and was thrilled at the gluten free bread and other selections. We had an Italian waiter at one point that went above and beyond to accommodate all of our needs. I really liked our room which was located in the West tower on the 4th floor. The room was a comfortable size and had a decent window for light. Not a great view, but a nice room nonetheless. The water pressure in the shower was absolutely incredible!! It was like a spa treatment. Loved that the most. Our friends had rooms in the other wing of the hotel and I have to admit that their room was not nearly as nice as ours. It was smaller, had a tiny, high up window and reeked of bad paint smell. I would not have liked that. But, we were fortunate to have our room which we really liked a lot and would recommend. I do have a couple of small issues which are, the bad pillows for one. They were hard and flat and about 2" thick. The other was the completely useless hairdryers. They are attached over the desk and have a very short cord. Not to mention you have to hold the button down to keep it on which is not that easy!. Trust me, bring your own dryer!!! We were there for the All-Ireland Dance competition. The convention center was a great venue for this. There was plenty of room for the practices and all of the seats in the performance hall had great views and lots of room. Really liked that. The hotel grounds are very nice. If I played golf it would have been a good place to do that. There is not much else in the surrounding areas to go and see. So for a short stay or a convention, this is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the West wing. Inside rooms have view of nothing but other side of hotel and park...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank CherylhHomerGlen_IL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saggart
2.5 km away
Green Isle Hotel
Green Isle Hotel
#7 of 7 in Clondalkin
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,034 reviews

Been to Citywest Hotel? Share your experiences!