“Should Have gone to mcdonalds”

Jolly Cafe and Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 80 Restaurants in Naas
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: European, Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

What a dissappointment ... had great potential when we walked in .. nice setting ... lovely menu .. friendly staff .
That's where it ends ...we were almost 45 mins waiting for our starters and with a baby on board time was crucial . Chicken wings were deep fried with a tiny amount of some kind of sauce ... the blue cheese dip tasted sour and was either watered down or had been left standing on a counter . The prawn starter consisted of 3 prawns which at €12 works out at €4 a prawn !!! The goats cheese tartlet had loads of pastry with very little goats cheese !! Mains were worse ...monkfish tails in batter tasted of nothing accompanied by a very commercially made tartare sauce which had an overpowering taste of vinegar ..perhaps a relation of the earlier blue cheese dressing ...definitely from the same jar !!
Turkey snitzchel was so bad it couldn't be finished ..a distinctive metallic taste from it ....even the chips looked sad and had also been sitting around for a while .
The service was so slow i could see our meal tantalisingly under serving lamps for a while before it was seen ...we were so hungry at that stage and baby becoming tired that i almost retrieved it myself ..
The bill was hefty and certainly not worth it ...we had wondered if a trip to mcdonalds was in order seeing as we had a baby with us but decided that we d treat ourselves .
Im fed up with restaurants thinking they can serve this kind of food at these prices and remain in business

2  Thank itamurph

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We had a very good breakfast here, and the only fault would’ve been that the service was quite slow. This was not the fault of the serving staff, but rather that they were understaffed. They coped very well considering, and the food was very good.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Eat here regularly, a lovely menu catering for every taste including gluten free options . Always a nice fish option too . There marinated carrot salad with or without chicken is thee best salad ever ... great imagination by the chef ...
great selection of herbal teas.
Wonderful staff :) pictures are of goats cheese salad also a lovely salad .

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I’d heard a lot about Jolly and had been looking forward to trying it.Friends had already had breakfast there and raved. We arrived for lunch on a Friday with high hopes. My lunch was lovely, an elegant salad of Falafel (added to the dish with no problem) Roasted Carrots, Sticky dates, pomegranates and a simple dressing. The Fish and Chips were devoured and the burgers, although extremely small portions ; looked like a kids meal despite us being far from children were also complimented.
My issue is with the waitresses. A cold attitude and bitter welcome was given, a sarcastic tone to one of them members of the table when she asked for a plain burger “well what DO you want on it so?” came the reply that made us look up in shock that she’d speak to a customer that way, having to ask for water three times despite the waitress almost running for water for an apparent regular diner who sat next to us, the water was on the table before he had even sat down. We couldn’t even catch their eyes as they walked by. The plates were basically thrown down in front of us and we felt as if we were a burden to them, and it wasn’t overly busy to offer as their excuse.
Food was fabulous but the service shocking.
I’ve heard they’ve a new dinner menu and I’d be intrigued to try but fingers and toes would be crossed that my path and these waitresses didn’t cross again.

1  Thank thecountryspoon
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

The first time I visited Jolly I wasn’t its biggest fan but it has definitely won me over.

The staff are so friendly and the service albeit a bit slow is usually very good.

The last time I visited I had the burger and my friend had the fish and chips. Both were excellent and so so so fresh!

I’d definitely recommend Jolly if you’re thinking of giving it a chance