All reviews open fire the kitchen old church landmark trust get together magical place own devices peter castle weekend character history stove surprise property texts fuel
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Clomantagh Castle is a unique property, plenty of space and really nicely furnished and comfortable. We visited in the summer 2011 and got a really good deal from The Landmark Trust. The place was spotless when we got there and we just felt right at home there. Bedrooms are really comfortable and all mod cons and lovely range in the kitchen. Only one shower but plenty of baths and bathrooms, no tv but we didn't need it. I'd love to go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ScreenqueenIreland
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Myself and my husband stayed in Clomantagh Castle for a family celebration August Bank Holiday Weekend 2011, there were 8 adults, 2 children (toddler & baby) & 2 dogs. The castle is a brillant place to stay and not far to Kilkenny city and surrounding towns. There was plently of space for the toddler to run around, lots of bedrooms, it states that it has 4 double rooms and 1 twin room but when we arrived we found out that the twin room could actually sleep 4 as it has 2 double beds, also one of the couches in the living room can convert into a bed settee. We didn't even miss not having a TV to watch as we had brought lots of games with us and there is also some games in the cabinet in the living room. There was plently of room in the kitchen for all of us. We really enjoyed our stay and Susan the lady who looks after the property was extremely helpful. She had mentioned a scarecrow festival being held in Durrow over the weekend which we all enjoyed especially our niece. We can't wait to go back, hopefully in the near future to stay here again and maybe the horses will be out in the fields at that time. We would recommend this Castle to anyone looking for somewhere different to stay for a famiy occasion like ours. Clomantagh, you rock...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

this is a great venue for getting together with friends. it was my second stay in ten years and i would recommend it. I spend a lot of my time in hotels and accommodation and this is definitely a gem. We ate three meals in the house for 10 with the range and a BBQ as back up. The only gripe i have is the shower as it took forever to get to a heat that was not scolding or freezing.....but thats just me and showers :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dolores_C
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Clomantagh Castle took me by surprise,I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The bedrooms are all large and comfortable. The new range kept us warm as did the open fire in the sittingroom. The situation is nice too, well in off the road with horses in the field and church nearby. Nice area for walks too. It is also within easy reach of tourist centres such as Kilkenny City, Dunmore Caves, etc. I would say that it is perhaps a little expensive but having said that the upkeep of such a property must be costly. Overall a great time was had in a great property.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank kevsterino
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I stayed in Clonmantagh castle during the summer of 2010. It is a charming old country house with pine floors and old fashioned furniture. However, I was not satisfied with my stay there. There were a number of things which I, and other guests, were dissatisfied with. First, it was not very clean. The kitchen especially had to be cleaned when we arrived. There was mould in the fridge and a coffee maker was caked with stale coffee. The lack of cleanliness was also apparent in other parts of the house eg unclean windows. Also, some of the furniture was shabby and uncomfortable.

Second, while there were a lot of bedrooms (enough to sleep ten people), the facilities were not adequate to cater for a large group. For example, there was only one shower and it was located at quite a distance from the bedrooms. (There were bathrooms, but they were not fitted with showers). Also, the cooking and dining facilities were not adequate for a large group of people. The Stanley cooker was difficult to regulate which meant that it was difficult to cook in the oven. There was no dining room and the table in the kitchen was not big enough for a large group. There were also inadequate facilities for children. For example, there was no television or dvd player and there were some things which were very off-putting for children, such as mice running around in the attic and a rodent repeller in one of the rooms.

Given that the house is located in the country, it would have been nice to have had facilities outside. There was a garden right beside the house but, unfortunately, it had not been reclaimed in the restoration of the property. As well as being unavailable for use, this area was unsightly.

Finally, I was dissatisfied with the person who was dealing with the house. We had difficulty contacting her when we needed to. She gave us contradictory information which meant that we ended up packing our things very quickly and leaving in a hurry. And I felt that she was rude to me personally when I tried to engage her help to retrieve an item which I had left behind.

There were some positive things about the accommodation. For example, there was plenty of hot water, the heating system was very good and the bedrooms were big. I think the house has great potential. However, I would have preferred a better standard of cleanliness, more adequate facilities and a more available and helpful person to deal with.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family