“Felt like a loooong trail ride”

Island View Riding Stables
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Grange
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For the time of your life on horseback! Island View is a family run Trekking centre and riding school that offer horse riding for all- beginners or experienced, children or adults. Beach rides, lessons, day rides to the stables' private island, residential holiday packages and short breaks are available all year round.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went on the two hour beach and bog ride on a beautiful day. Unfortunately only a few minutes of it was idyllic.

I'm an OK rider but never felt I got my bearings and struggled for confidence and control. Part of it may have been me, but part was the casual attention given to outfitting guests. My boots and stirrups were loose while my helmet was so tight I started getting a headache.

I was the only solo guest among a group of six or seven Germans. There was a guide in front and behind. My horse never responded to my kicks or urging to trot or hurry. The guide in back handed me a whip and said yes, you need to use it. Later the guide in front said you can't be using that to punish him for something you haven't asked him to do. Later she decided there likely was a problem with my horse's shoes.

The lead guide asked if we wanted to canter, which I wanted to very much but wasn't yet prepared to do. No one else wanted to so our whole time was walking and trotting. We went along back alleys, roads, the beach, one fun little sand dune, crossed the highway and returned. There was zero commentary or positive banter--it felt like we were a chore.

Obviously disappointing. They seemed very nice so perhaps it was just too crowded of a day.

Island View Rid... L, Manager at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

hi , thanks for your review - I always like to use reviews to find where we can improve the service. Unfortunately I am having difficulty here, I am trying to make sense of what you wrote. You said you felt you struggled for confidence and control and then at the same you complain that your were given a quiet easy going horse - you mention not being prepared and ready for a canter and then you complain about going only at a walk and trot.
I am hoping my response might prove useful to other customers when getting kitted out: We go to great lenghts in fitting the riding hats. The hat needs to be a snug fit as there is no point in fitting you with a hat that doesn't sit securely on your head. However if you feel you are getting a headache from the hat then you as an adult you should mention that to the people that fit the hat as we can't determine that from looking at it form the outside . Likewise when you get the hats and boots you need to say it if the boots are too big, there are plenty of other pairs available at all times.
I would advise you to come back outside the main summer season when groups are smaller and we have lots more time to entertain you on the ride.

There are newer reviews for Island View Riding Stables

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Fantastic trip onto a beautiful beach, which we had to ourselves. The horses are so well trained, there was no safety concern for a novice like myself. Lovely guide, would have no problem recommending

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and of course we are always happy to receive such positive feedback. Looking forward to meeting you again some time.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Island View cares about the individual horseback rider. While I am an experienced English rider, I know that Ursula and Raymond are able to accommodate riders at all levels and provide them with an unforgettable and, most importantly, safe experience. The horses are top notch, and the views can't be beat. Don't expect to be coddled, though- between the number of hours on horseback (if you do the Trail Week), number of long gallops and trots on varied terrain and the always changeable weather, the week ride is an experience geared towards hardy riders. I have done horseback holidays around the world, and yet I still come back to ride their Atlantic Trail Week because it is consistently fantastic. Prices are fairer than many of the inferior competitor Irish trekking companies.

Hi. Thanks so much for your fantastic review. We enjoyed having you ride with us again this year and I am so happy you enjoyed this years horse as much as your favourite last year. Always a pleasure to do business with you and I am sure we will meet again.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

My daughter and I went for a beach ride. I felt happy that we would be paired up with appropriate mounts when I was asked about our riding experience, size and weight. We both ride weekly at our local stables and I gave an honest account of our riding experience, size and age.

When we arrived at the stables, it was very busy with many riders standing around. A hassled looking man approached us and clearly just thought of two horses there and then for us to ride (so much for the information provided in advance) and we were told to remember those names ourselves (clearly no planning was involved).

I told the stables that I was an experienced rider. I got a horse that required constant constraint. I was capable of controlling the mare but to be honest, when I go for a hack I'm looking for a bit of relaxing fun not an intensive work out. Thankfully I was wearing riding gloves or my hands would have been in bits.

My daughter (age 7) has been riding confidently for over a year and canters combination jumps in her weekly lessons. She was put on a pony who heard the word 'trot' on the beach, instantly jumped out of line and tried to head off. She was capable of stopping the misbehaving pony but she was instantly put on a lead rope and not let off for the rest of the ride. When I tried to talk to my daughter in an effort to establish if she felt confident enough to come off lead reign or if she'd feel safer on the lead, the girl leading her told me to go away. One minute later, the same girl complained to the group leader that my daughter wouldn't tell her why she was sad.

On the way back, another extremely large group of beginner was heading out.

I would only suggest this yard for complete beginners who are happy to walk along in a line of horses for an hour, and to be fair, that is all that a lot of people want.

Admittedly we did visit on the August bank holiday weekend (thought we booked well in advance) but the stables felt overcrowded and the staff overstretched

5  Thank Anne-Marie M

Hi,
Thanks for your review. Its always good to get feedback so we can review our procedures here.
I made enquiries with staff when I got your review as we pride ourselves in getting the match right (almost) all the time . Your child was on Jaffa who is with us for the last 15 years and has proven himself to be a dependable safe pony for children who can ride as well as for beginners. Given the imormation you provided, it's a choice I would have made myself, too. I feel your daughter might not have been very effective in her riding as she was probably a little overwhelmed by riding on the beach as it is different to riding in an enclosed arena. The guide spotted that and took her on the lead rein which was the appropriate course of action to take and I would have done the same myself.
I would advise you to come back to us out of the season as obviously there will be more opportunity to give individual attention to customers.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

My husband saw sign on the road and spontaneously we went in. Best decision ever. Our two children 14 and 11 both absolute beginners, within minutes of instruction were having a wonderful time. We were encouraged to accompany them on the walk ourselves for the 1hr group trail to the beach shore - (bucket list item ticked off so young they were so lucky). The instructor (Leah) led the horses and chatted to them, she was wonderful and kind. The horses Lollipop and Pablo were so gentle. We highly recommend this trip for all families. Well looked after horses and kind instructors. Amazing experience. We will be returning.

1  Thank Roisin O
Island View Rid... L, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are delighted to receive your review. A lot of our business is spontaneous you were lucky we were able to take you on the spot and I guess we were lucky that you picked our stables foryour equestrian experience. We love it when we can make children happy and when our customers have an appreciation of our beautiful and kind horses and ponies.