2,244 results
All reviews spa room garden view restaurant saffron restaurant ayush spa shuttle bus plunge pool lovely hotel excellent spa large hotel first class lounge bar walk in shower great facilities no air conditioning standard room town centre single room
Reviewed 3 October 2018

The title of my posting, is probably a little negative of our overall stay. But here goes as to my reasoning.
The staff, service and breakfast for me we're all a five star, and excellent is all areas.
Compliments to all in every aspect.
I felt as though the rooms, although thoroughly clean were very basic. There were a couple of little touches that could have been easily thought of which are a given in a lot of hotels, as standard, i.e. A bottle of water.
The hotels location for us was great, although for those less able, they may have struggled due to the steep drive to get to the hotel.
The hotels decor is extremely traditional, and although I am not a posed to a traditional hotel, in some parts there were attempts to be modern, and the two just looked odd. I think they should stay with an identity and be happy with that.
I never eat in a hotels restaurant S I like to get out and about, but if the breakfast was a basis of judgement I would definitely give them ago.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah F
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

The Hotel de France is a traditional hotel offering everything you need for a great stay in Jersey. Situated within walking distance of St Helier town and the harbour it has a great Spa and pool facilities. The breakfast is also excellent with one of the best choices I have seen. The staff are very friendly and helpful as well.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

The Hotel De France was the perfect stay for a birthday celebration. The room was clean and very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The spa was great for a relaxing swim, steam room or sauna at the end of a busy day exploring the island. But the icing on the cake was the Saffrons restaurant. The service was impeccable and the food absolutely amazing. The 7 course tasting menu was a delight, and we enjoyed it so much we went back the next night to try the a la Carte menu. Also delicious.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018

This was clearly a very grand old lady of a hotel back in the day, and was part of the reason we booked it. The exterior of the hotel is beautiful (albeit hidden from the roadside) and inside there are still touches of glamour. However in the modern world I think the hotel could do more with the space that they have.

Firstly positives....we tried the afternoon tea and spa, including some treatments - all very lovely indeed, and thoroughly recommended. The spa is very spacious and well appointed and the staff were great. We also ate in the hotel on more than one occasion in the Garden View restaurant - the food was lovely. Breakfast was also very good - with a large selection of options. All of the staff we encountered were brilliant - extremely helpful and friendly. There is a traditional feel to the reception service which we appreciated and a small stocked shop for things like water and other essentials.

Our room was on the top floor of the main building, and the views over Jersey were spectacular. However the room had no air conditioning and was extremely hot. 2 fans were available in the room, which made things bearable - but it was still very difficult to sleep even with the windows wide open! I believe there are some rooms overlooking the spa which do have air con - which I would recommend in warmer weather!!

The main negative for me was the overall decor. While the rooms were fine, in the hotel lobby and especially in the hotel bar, there are numerous very sad looking leather sofas which make you feel like you are entering a very old SCS showroom. The hotel bar was clearly at one point very traditional - but now just looks a mess. The formal way of serving a cocktail really didn't go with the surroundings!

I think with a few tweaks they really could bring a bit of class back to this hotel - they clearly have the staff and attitude and have clearly invested in some money in the spa area - but it would be nice to see the same standard across the hotel.

One other thing to note. The hotel is placed very high up from the main road. If arriving by taxi there is absolutely no issue as they can drop you outside the lobby - however if you approach the hotel by foot, be sure to look for steps up to the hotel (on the right as you look at it) and not climb up the car route on the left. Both are challenging to be fair (and both 100% no good if you have real mobility issues) - but the 'right' route is much kinder on the knees for those who can make it!!!

The town centre is a 15 minute walk away - but we found it tricky to find our way back to the hotel on more than one occasion - so take a map or a taxi :D

Stayed: October 2018
Reviewed 1 October 2018

I stayed at Hotel de France when staying for a few days on business.

The hotel is a little walk out of town and hidden behind a more modern building so not really viewable from the road.

The hotel is a very traditional hotel. A little old fashioned but nice and clean and in a good condition. I had a room on the 5th floor, the top floor. The room was small, but lovely. Beautiful views and it had everything I needed. I noticed on other floors they had higher ceilings that gave the idea of more space.

On the first night we decided to take a quick dip in the pool. Well, this was the treat of the trip. What a beautiful space and lovely pool. It's just a shame we didn't get to spend as more time there.

We also had dinner in the Garden restaurant one night, reviewed separately.

I would highly recommend staying at the Hotel de France if you are happy with a little walk from the centre of St Helier.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business