Bovey Castle Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The White Hart Hotel(Moretonhampstead)
The Woodforde(Moretonhampstead)
Mill End Hotel(Chagford)
Gidleigh Park(Chagford)
View Hotel
Fingle Glen Golf Hotel(Tedburn St. Mary)
2,529 results
All reviewsgolf courseafternoon teafalconry displayservice chargewestern restaurantsandwichesthe hotel managervalet parkingbeautiful groundsmain restaurantbirthday treatpublic roomshis teammember of stafffudgespecial occasionsloe gin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were given a gift of Afternoon Tea so decided to stay the night. Unfortunately one night was not enough! We were greeted by "old fashioned" wonderful service, very friendly and efficient staff. Our standard room felt anything but that. Beautifully furnished and a small complimentary decanter of their own produced sloe gin, nuts and fruit. Large well fitted bathroom. Beautiful grounds with plenty of activities to take part in. I could go on and on. Pity we only had a one night stay but will definitely go back.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Francisco M, General Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Jenny,

It is for reviews like yours, that my team work hard every day for, and we are all delighted that we have managed to impress you.

Do come back soon, but maybe for a couple of days?

Look forward to meet you then,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a fantastic stay at the castle, one of the most friendly staffed hotels I've had the pleasure of staying in. the facilities and on site dining were fantastic. The location is superb. will remain on the top of my favourite places, thank you!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Dan,

Thank you for the outstanding review,

I look forward to welcome you back,

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Everything was fantastic from the moment we arrived - quality and comfort , the wow factor for me without feeling it was too grand ! - upgraded to a Valley view and what a view it was - even seeing the Deer running across the fields. Quality rooms, huge bed, free standing bath - little touches like complimentary sloe gin in the room.
Excellent and beyond - rooms upstairs and down, location, views, decor , ambiance, service, service in brasserie , pool , walks around the grounds and further afield , falconer display a must - sunday morning outside on the terrace a wonderful experience and free
Negatives - Brasserie very nice but very expensive - we had £30 credit each with our deal and this didnt cover a steak. We knew this but others may not. Be prepared to spend more . Cocktial £12 for example. Also very strong smell of fish at entrance at lunch and dinner - this couldnt be helped as kitchens are there on view but a bit nauseating. Food was good but you couldve been anywhere in terms of atmosphere and food, so we would go fine dining if we went again . Luckily breakfast is in main dining room so thats nice. Found breakfast a bit confusing - we werent sure what we could and couldnt have , service felt muddled and if you were paying separately - overpriced. Lovely food though, and to go out and watch the falconer after was wonderful
It would be nice if there were more complementary activities like the falconer
Heat - extremely hot everwhere !!!! Our bed was huge and fabulous but boiling hot (memory foam) so awful nights sleep. Also all radiators and fires blazing day time, it was sauna like !! I accept we are changing seasons tho.
All in all totally recommended and we are going to go again

Room Tip: Valley view wonderful
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear NoPlaceLike50

I am delighted to hear that you will come back and would recommend us, nevertheless I note your constructive feedback, thank you for this.

We can always get better, and your feedback will allow us to continue to do so,

Look forward to have you back,

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I visited for my daughters 4th birthday and, whilst everything was very nice and luxurious, there's just a few things that are not quite there.

We stayed in a junior suite, an amazing room overlooking the valley. The complimentary sloe gin in the room and the nespresso machine etc are very welcome. Our bath seemed to have a leak (room 24) but not a big problem.

It's always the staff that make or break a place like this, though. There are, for example, some very quirky members of staff with extreme makeup, or an unusual manner, that just make things a little less comfortable at times. The chap that does the falconry display also made out that the birds were likely to attack our little kids- not a very funny joke really! But there are also some gems there too- Silvia in The Brasserie greeted us like family (and her giggle is a delight) and Jo on reception was very professional.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Karen T

hank you for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor,

I am glad to hear that on the whole you had a great stay, but I am sorry to hear that you found some of our staff unusual,

We pride ourselves in looking after our teams and allowing them (until an extent) to portray their own personality, as we found that this is preferable by the majority of our Patrons, I am sorry this was not the case for you; please accept my sincerest apologies.

I am also sorry that you found that Martins jokes were not funny, I shall have a conversation with him,

Hope that the above does not stop you returning, and look forward to meet you on your next visit,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Unimpressive erratic service of small portions of disappointing luke warm food. Over recent years we have stayed at Bovey Castle and dined on 4 different occasions but sadly no improvement. £45 for 3 gin and tonics and £3 for a glass of water!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 3kidsDevon

Dear 3KidsDevon

Thank you for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor,

I cannot understand from your review when did you stay with us, nevertheless please accept my apologies for the shortfalls.

It is rare that we receive feedback such as you described and I would kindly ask you to contact me directly so I can personally look into your complaint and ensure is resolved,