“Pleasant fish restaurant in great location. Kids really enjoyed their gifts.”
Review of Rockfish

Rockfish
Ranked #20 of 140 Restaurants in Exmouth
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The last time we were in Exmouth (4 years ago) we came here and had an amazing meal and so, as we were back, we booked again.
We pretty quickly realised that the restaurant had since changed hands, but the menu still looked good and we were quickly provided with what fish was fresh in that day (black bream, lemon sole and gurnard).
I had really been hoping there might have been a shellfish platter (like I'd enjoyed at this place under previous ownership), but there was no such dish and so I opted for the bream for my main course. There were no oysters and so I had Green Curry mussels for starters (very nice indeed), which were for sharing really - but I was feeling greedy :)
The kids both had fish & chips (the eldest was even treated to a battered prawn on his dish as he specifically asked to try one). The waitress was amazing with the kids and plus points for the kids pack.. a rubber wristband, a very posh wallet and a colouring in/activity pack with crayons etc. They loved it.
Other positives were the views of the seafront from the terrace - and the hilarity of watching little boats trying to get in and out of the water via the nearby jetty.
So to the negatives... for me, the big thing was the lack of lager. There was nothing on draught and the only lager they had was 330ml bottles of Estrella coming in at £4.50 a bottle (!!!!). I had to go for an IPA instead which wasn't really my thing and I switched to wine later in the meal.
I was obviously also a bit disappointed with the lack of a shellfish platter on the menu -- but that is just because I had got myself excited at the prospect based on a previous visit (with previous owners).
It was also very cold on the terrace. We were perfectly fine - as we were close to the log burner, but there were a few people changing tables or wrapping in blankets to keep warm (although as we left the staff switched on some heat lamps, which I am sure would solve that problem).
All in all it was very pleasant, but did cost us £200 (4 adults, 2 children). Would go again - but this time with expectations slightly tempered...

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We had decided on the day to grab something to eat in the middle of the afternoon - given that we were attending the Exmouth Pavilion at 18:00hrs. Locations that stay open all day are not so common,

Rockfish staff were welcoming.

The way they write details of the specials on your place mat area is a nice touch - with price and cooking options.

My wife enjoyed their house Sauvignon Blanc and I enjoyed a root beer. We had a mixture of starters and mains.

So what did we think of the food? In summary - pretty damned good. Fried Rock oysters were delicious, garlic mayo a revelation. Salt & Pepper Prawns yummy, first class. We had a red gurnard, which was charcoal grilled and very tasty - although in hindsight, the charcoal flavour does not compliment it so well (not their fault - we requested that). Fish was served with their very nice chips, which they replenish when you request at no extra cost. To be fair, this is a very clever tactic as portions are small. Both customer and restaurant stand to benefit, as the product remains fresh and crispy and there should be little wastage.

The Rockfish Caesar Salad we had each was VERY nice. That offering would be my dish to recommend to be honest.

Now to the one dish I thought a tad lacklusture. The fried calamari, whilst was pretty tasty, could have been more highly seasoned - and was too thinly cut for my taste. We have this a great deal at home. Thicker is better - sorry guys. I know you need to earn money but...

All in all a nice experience - but you must sort the draughty and leaking window area by the sea. This is a key feature - so don't let it hinder you when the weather is rough. I appreciate that you are right on the water but this is a little off putting for those sat there for a period of time in my opinion.

We will visit again in the summer.

Thank you.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We visited for a Tuesday lunch, arriving soon after 12 and thinking it would be quiet. Wrong! The part of the restaurant with the sea view soon filled up and was constantly busy. I agree with other reviews on the same day that the service was not quick, but our waitress was lovely and very attentive. My scallop starter was really delicious, and my husband’s half pint of prawns were enjoyable but not that tasty (he’s spoilt as we were in Spain two weeks ago, and his dozen langoustines there were just wonderful!). However, the main courses were a bit disappointing - cod tacos (quite expensive) which were two chunks of cod in breadcrumbs with a spicy sauce ‘squeezed’ over the top, lying on two very pallid, cold tacos which I really couldn’t eat. My husband’s lemon sole fillets were OK, but a bit dry and slightly over cooked. The chips were delicious, as was my green side salad. So, we had to have puds, didn’t we? Soft ice cream served in small glasses with delicious sauce (choc for him, Baileys for me!), finished off a very pleasant meal. And the best part was feeling we had eaten well, but not at all “overstuffed”. The Rockfish Sauvignon blanc is very good, as is the ginger beer!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

What a shame food as always great but the service was terrible, the dogs that were there were getting bowls of water before people getting served. We saw 1 table leave after they were seated not 1 person came to see them so they left after 45 minutes. Won't be going back in a hurry

1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We have been to most of the Rockfish restaurants and they do vary in quality and consistency of service. This was our first visit to the Exmouth restaurant and immediately there were problems. It wasn't a particularly cold day but the part of the dining area we were seated in was cold. There was a wood burner but it wasn't lit until late in our meal.

We both ordered grilled fish but it wasn't very warm when it arrived and soon went cold because of the restaurant temperature. My whole lemon sole was tiny and had very little meet to enjoy compared to the many times I have ordered it elsewhere. At £17.95 for the fish and a portion of chips I didn't feel it was good value although it was cooked well.

The staff were friendly but we left disappointed and a three days later I still feel unhappy enough to write this review.

3  Thank Chris D