“An excellent local”
Review of The Sloop Inn

The Sloop Inn
Ranked #13 of 76 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our 14th Century Inn is steeped in tradition and is a short walk from the surfing beach of Bantham.
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Four of us ate dinner here on a busy Saturday, but the staff were charming and efficient and made our evening enjoyable. We had fish starters and main courses which were freshly cooked and well presented. My bowl of mussels was very generous in size, but they were slightly over cooked. Nevertheless we all enjoyed our meals and would go back again.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

First came to this splendidly characterful pub aged 7 when all I got was a ginger beer and a packet of crisps in the car park while my parents had fish and chips inside.
Instead of reporting them to social services, I just went back as an adult and made my own choices.
Unlikely that you will find better in Devon. The beer is great, the food is great and the staff are great.
Just half a mile from one of the best beaches in the world, what more could you ask.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Today we attended the sloop pub in Bantham having pre booked a table for our sons birthday lunch, having finished a wonderful couple of hours watching him and his friends enjoy a surf lesson we entered the pub and chose a seated area to have a drink and order food. Our friend who was at the bar overheard a member of staff saying they had received a complaint about the noise our four children were making and that they were going to ‘shove us in the Back restaurant area out of the way’ !!!!
I would like to add at this point our children were all sat down peacefully on their iPads and not making any noise whatsoever. When we approached a member of staff from Behind the bar about this ‘allegation of excessive noise’ he stated that two independent people had complained, not once did he come over to the seated area to witness such excessive noise and merely took the other customers word for it.
We found it highly unprofessional for someone to talk openly in a busy bar about our children’s alleged behaviour without coming and approaching us first, just goes to show the bar staff were obviously not that alert to their clientele! When we asked the bar tender if we needed to move so we were ‘out of the way’ they stated no as long as the kids didn’t talk!!! How ridiculous to expect kids to sit in silence...
This event put a real dampener on the day and obviously we did not hang around to spend our hard earned money in a venue that openly advertises itself as a family pub but treats their customers with utter contempt.
We visit Bantham on a regular basis but will be driving straight past the sloop pub to a more accommodating venue.

1  Thank QUINSRFC
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We started the morning bright and early, birds tweeting in the mid summer air. After a few hours of the sun’s heavy gaze turning our once smooth skin into a solid leather jacket, Clair’s stomach began to rumble. Unfortunately we didn’t know the area well, being city dwellers we were lost in a world of our own, lusting for the tender taste of a classic fish and chips. Turning to the lovely couple to our right we asked for a recommendation for the finest food Devon has to offer. The Sloop was its name and our adventure began. A walk of a thousand steps we took, not knowing whether our empty stomachs would care for the food. After entering the pub we were approached with open arms like my parents never did. A few of our soldiers went for their well known fish and chips, while others went for a classic burger with caramelised onions topped with Brie ( aren’t we cool ) and a steak cooked to PERFECTION. The service was incredible and the food was the finest in all the land. I have never in my 30 years been so pleased with a single meal. It made my day and maybe my life in general. I will be going back.

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We rocked up covered in mud after an unplanned cross country walk across the fields and were still welcomed into the pub happily, including our muddy Great Dane! The food was amazing, very high quality pub grub, with really friendly staff and a friendly atmosphere between customers. There’s a bar too that was buzzing and very busy by the time we left at around 10 with even more friendly people. A lovely atmosphere and a definite must-go for anyone staying in Bantham or Thurlestone.