“Lovely setting, but pricey”
Review of The Strand Cafe

The Strand Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Shaldon
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Boutique cafe and bistro serving brunch, lunch and afternoon tea specialising in continental cuisine. The Strand Cafe specialises in barista coffees, loose leaf teas, homemade cakes and pastries and food prepared fresh every time. Beautiful beachside garden where customers can sit outside and enjoy the sun.
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Had our morning coffee here, slightly disappointed they don't open until 10.00, seems a bit late when they are doing breakfasts.
Coffee was OK, the cakes looked nice, the cheese scone was good.
The guy serving was on his own, and seemed a bit stressed and rushed. Consequently, coffee and cakes took a long time to get to us. That, and the fact it was quite pricey, we probably wouldn't go back, despite the lovely views.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

My Husband and I had lunch here on Sunday 27th Aug, the regatta was on but it wasn't that busy so we got a table outside. I had a large glass of white wine which was really good and in a god quality glass which makes all the difference. We shared the cold seafood platter, there was loads of smoked salmon, crayfish tails - prawns (could have been more of both of these in our opinion) and some mackerel with a small green salad in the middle and a basket of bread, we did have to order more bread to finish off. The service from the young water who served us was really good. I will definitely go back here.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Four of us visited this lovely cafe for morning coffee and sat in the garden near the sea front. We were served by an engaging and polite member of staff who took our order and promptly came back with our very nice coffee. It was very busy but nothing was too much trouble and had we not had our lunch venue planned we would have stayed for lunch as the food looked very tasty and good sized portions. Well worth a visit for a great cup of coffee and lovely staff.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We visited Shaldon in August on the weekend of the regatta and what a marvellous place this is. The area is quaint and the beach is very clean. We stopped for cream tea at the Strand cafe which looked out to the beach with great views across to Teignmouth. I had the best ever cream tea. I was served two warm scones with cream and jam the service from our waitress was exceptional. My Husband and I was talking to our waitress who was very informative about the area who recommended another local beach called Ness beach advising to go through an old smugglers cave which leads you to a fabulous beach, again this was very clean. There are no cafes on the beach but you do pass a pub which seemed popular and a little shop. Unfortunately the way down to Ness beach via smugglers cave is not for people using wheelchairs or for people finding difficulty using steps. When we visit Devon again we will be visiting the area and of course the Strand cafe for my cream tea.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Being local we have visited this café many times finishing off with an ice cream. On this occasion with the Regatta on and holiday makers in large numbers, the ice cream was less than half the size but the same price. I queried this when I got served but was told that this was all that they had.
I queried this when I paid for what I had in the café and was told sorry but they were not making enough profit.
Well good luck to them when all the holiday makers, second home owners and day trippers have gone home we will not in future be helping them with their profits being local there are plenty of other choices. I hope others that were there this week do the same.