“Great - Horses, food and company”
Review of Off Piste Riding - CLOSED

Off Piste Riding
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Nestled in a valley down a tree covered single track lane is a stables that cherishes its horses and welcomes its guests as if they were long lost friends. Arriving on Friday night for 2 days riding my daughters and i were greated by local legend and owner Dave and his wife Ellen who could not have made us more welcome. The three course dinner cooked on the Aga was was just what we needed following our journey and was more welcome on the Saturday after a fun packed day in the saddle.

The horses we rode were perfectly behaved, the riding across the fields and through the forests was challenging but made a lot easier as the sure footed thoroughbreds took such care of you whilst Dave conviced you could do anything they could do (and in fact we could !).

Dave impressed us with his local knowlege and his love for the area and its people and parking the horses in the pubs we found along the way whilst we had a quick break (and a pint) gave us lots of chance to talk to all the people who came out to see the horses.

Getting back to the farm we settled into the hot tub whilst Dave and Ellen cooked dinner and made sure we had eveything we needed (including some great wine). On saturday night we slept in the charming bedrooms and was woken by the smell of english breakfast. That day we took the horses to Quantock Hills with views all the way to Wales, dropping down into the tree lined trails at the bottom of the hills. We were all sad to leave on Sunday and we will be back in 2011.

2  Thank SuellenJ24

Reviewed 26 November 2009

I was brought up bombing about the Sussex countyside on my own horses, and going down to Offpiste was like stepping back in time. I rode Punchy who was great. He was just the sort of horse I love. In fact, all of us were thrilled with our mounts, an excellent balance between sensible and sparky. The hosts Dave and Ellen are just the same. Sensible, but sparky!!! A great fry up in the morning cooked by Dave after a good sleep in Ellen's cosily decorated rooms was just what the doctor ordered. We felt like part of the family from start to finish. I can recommend a hip flask for long rides accross the moors -Dave will be a friend for ever if you share it!

2  Thank JCR078
Reviewed 19 November 2007

This was not my first riding holiday but I'll be very hard pushed to find anywhere half as good. From the warm welcome, and Dave's unique hospitality, the cooking, the hot tub, fine wines, beautiful farmhouse and surroundings to the fantastic horses, all was perfect. Anyone would feel instantly at home.
The riding was first class (and slightly terrifying) you do need a certain level of experience, this is not nose to tail trekking. We charged over the moors and, my favourite, along the beach, stopping for a picnic prepared for us by the lovely Ellen. The horses are beautiful, well mannered and fast! They are obviously well cared for and loved dearly.
I went for a weekend on my own and there were two others staying there also, we all got on like a house on fire. If like me, you love horses, great food, wine and good company, beautiful surroundings and a bit of an adventure then you will not find a better experience than staying at the Linford's farm.

Reviewed 3 September 2007

First let me say that my husband and I love horses and love riding. While he is a very experienced rider, I am an amateur (at best). However, we continuously seek out unique riding experiences whenever we travel to various countries around the world. We do not like the traditional “touristy” riding where you basically play follow-the -leader with ten other guests while you go down the same path that every horse riding company in town uses. “Off Piste” truly gave us an experience of a life-time. NONE of our riding experiences, thus far, have even come close to the wonderful experience that we had this past weekend.

I will start with the horses...While I will not go into details about each specific horse (as you can read about them yourself on their website), I do want to mention that these are the most beautiful, well behaved horses that we have ever been around. On most of our other trips we had to constantly monitor the horses to make sure that they did not get too close to one another or that we did not walk behind them, etc. because they were temperamental and unpredictable. This was not the case with Longham Farm horses. We could actually relax and enjoy the ride. Upon arrival, we immediately realized that these horses are treated like their children and as a result the horses are just a joy to be around. My horse even nuzzled my arm as I walked by so that I would not forget to stop and pet her (and feed her an apple of course).

The Experience…I honestly don’t even know where to begin. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and were immediately greeted by Dave (one of the owners) with wine and nice conversation. We then were matched with a horse (based on our riding experience and preference) and went for an hour or so ride so we could get used to the horse and make any changes if needed. Friday night we had a WONDERFUL meal cooked by Dave’s wife, Ellen, who is actually going to be on television this week for her wonderful cooking skills and I can see why after tasting the meal that she prepared. It was delicious. The next morning we had a nice (equally as tasty) breakfast and then rode for about six hours (with a mid-morning break and a lunch break). During our ride were able to see lots of wildlife (Exmore ponies being my favorite…my husband preferred the Red Deer) and some of the most breathtaking scenery that I could ever imagine. I remember specifically telling my husband that “this is the stuff you only see in movies and think that it cannot possibly be real”. Without a doubt, we could have never seen any of this by car…only by horseback and only with a guide that really knows the area. Anyway, that night we returned to a nice Hot Tub (which was a true life saver let me tell you) and another wonderful meal. Sunday, we had a great breakfast and about the same amount of time riding, but it was a totally different route than what we took the day before so it was an experience in itself.

From the time we arrived until the time we left, the Linford’s and Jemima (stable manager) made us feel like we were at home. Since we are from the southern part of the United States, I can best describe it as what we call true “Southern Hospitality”. My husband and I were sad to leave but will be making another visit in the near future.

2  Thank Allourexperiences