“Easter Sunday Lunch for 6 ”
Review of The Maltsters Arms

The Maltsters Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Tuckenhay
Price range: US$1 - US$65
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Riverside Devonshire Pub/Restaurant and B&B. Located alongside the river dart the Maltsters is the perfect location for you to moor your boat alongside to enjoy some delicious food with fantastic views. Great selection of wines, ales and anything else you fancy!
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We live locally, my first ever visit.
Table booked for 2.30pm - table not ready until 2.50pm.

Menu and a good mix of roasts and about 7-8 other dishes. Enough choice and not too much to make choosing a chore!

Food arrived. Took a little time for all meals to arrive. Food was hot, but the serving dishes and plates like warm, for me a disappointment...... a roast needs hot plates and serving dishes to keep that food nice and hot over the meal.
The waitress in trying to pass a roast to me spilt an amount of gravy down the back of another member of family and their jacket. She was of course mortified and got a cloth. But it stained the clothes in question. Would of been nice if management had been told by the waitress and it acknowledged back to us.

Food? It was good.... but not great. I expected tastier Pork it just lacked flavour, the crackling was limp, the caramelised apples were not caramelised and tasted bland, the vegetables and potatoes were very tasty. Good Yorkshire puddings as well. The burger one of our party had was very good.

Desserts - we chose not too. Found it strange with all the good West Country Ice creams that they choose to sell Italian Gelato...... not what I want to see personally.

I gave an average rating, which actually is more than fair, considering the gravy incident.

I’d give this place a second chance but would need to be better on the next visit.

1  Thank ChocolateCousCous

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Our family of five were all well satisfied with the Sunday roast. Since we were staying in the area, we popped back in several times for evening drinks. We wouldn't keep going back if it wasn't friendly and welcoming.

Robert D, Owner at The Maltsters Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

thank you so much for your kind comments, we do our best to welcome all, including dogs
hope to see you again in the not to distant future

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a table for a special occasion.
The bar staff was lovely, a lady called Maggie? Great service, with a smile.
Ordered various bits off the menu including the mussels. When they arrived there was a smell that I couldn’t place. Didn’t smell like mussels should but maybe it was the dressing? After four or five mussels , realised that they were off. Some were slimy, some smelt bad. All in all, they should have never left the kitchen. Spent the night regretting it!!
The other food and drink that we had was lovely but £65 to spend the rest of the night on the toilet.... disappointing!
It’s still a lovely venue and I’m sure this is a one off.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

As title suggests, we popped in for a pint to see the menu and have a look around to decide whether to book for an evening meal. Arrived at about 5pm and stayed for an hour. Took our drinks to a table by the window overlooking the river. Whilst we sat with our drinks, a lady brought around Reserved signs to put on all tables within the vicinity including our table, without saying anything. So I don't actually know what time the table was booked for our how long we had left to sit their but it's a good job we hadn't decided to get our second drinks and make a night of it! Don't get me wrong, I understand that tables get reserved but I would have thought the lady could have engaged with us in a conversation and made us feel welcome to move to another table or given us an idea of time we had left etc. As it happens the pub restaurant was cold so we weren't inclined to stay anyway. As we left, I saw the bar man was starting up the fire so maybe it would have be more welcoming after six pm. Regardless we left and walked down the road to the Waterman' Arms for a lovely evening meal and was made t feel very welcome.
Location was good so maybe I'd give it another try during summer months but not my ideal winter warmer with welcoming atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Sunday lunch was excellent and nice choice of meats, The veg was also exceptional and even though the weather was not good lovely location and would visit again especially in the summer,lovely views out to the river and the staff were very helpful and friendly.
Also the choice of beers and ales were very good.