“Avoid the cocktails”

Brundle's Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 38 Restaurants in Woolacombe
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Description: Overlooking Woolacombe village with stunning bay views, Brundle's is an exciting new addition open to all members of the public. Brought to you by the Brundle family, our restaurant combines local and seasonal produce with fresh flavours. Open from 11am every day with food served from 11am​ till 8pm (7pm on Sundays). Enjoy brunch, lunch and dinner, cocktails and light bites in our raised bar or a stunning sunset from the dining terrace.
Reviewed 2 June 2021

The cocktails were a con, we ordered 4 different cocktails and 3 of them were exactly the same as each other and didn’t look like the actual cocktails. They were definitely out of a carton and not properly made - basically fruit juice and no taste of alcohol - appalling when you’re charging £9.50 for a tiny glass!
All the tables were dirty and we were brought a dirty wine glass with lipstick stains - when asking for a clean one, the waitress just shrugged her shoulders and walked off.
This is unacceptable during covid.
Very expensive place and below average.

7  Thank Alex A
Write a reviewReviews (276)

Reviewed 2 June 2021

Food was very poor standard, looked poor quality on the plate and the taste was also poor , burgers cheap quality and chips seemed like they were from frozen, beef and rice dish equally poor, such a shame as a great location and with a bit more quality could be a great venue, serving staff were working hard although none had face masks on inside.

8  Thank drhob
Reviewed 2 June 2021

We visited tonight and had a lovely meal, food was good and service quick and efficient, all staff very pleasant. Unfortunately we witnessed the incident described in the two most recent reviews and give praise to the staff, as from what I could see, the customers in question were exceptionally rude to the staff, to the point of making one of them cry.
If you have a problem with the food, and the waitress cannot solve the issue, then the manager should be your next port of call, not storming in and confronting the chef in front of the entire restaurant when he is busy and under pressure.
I clearly heard the chef say to the customer “the steak is fine in my opinion however I am happy to cook you another one” yes he was defending his/other chefs work but he did offer a solution, the customer was still not happy and kept raising his voice at him to the point of drawing everyone’s attention to the situation. From what I heard, all the customer did was make himself look like a complete idiot, moaning about how he pays the bill etc etc he then pulled his mask down and proceeded to shout at the chef and call him names (all whilst the chef was still cooking) the chef did stand up for himself (well done!) I may add the customer is not always right and you should not be verbally abused in the work place by anybody. The manager came over to calm the situation, to which the customer then followed the manager out the restaurant, but not before pulling his mask down one last time to call the chef a wa*ker. Who deserves that?! Get down from your high horse and appreciate the tough times the hospitality industry have been through this past year and give thanks.
I have no affiliation to this restaurant nor the staff (I come from Cambridgeshire) but I know an idiot when I see one and this customer fulfilled the criteria to the tee. I myself have worked in the hospitality industry for many years, if I was spoken to like that I would have asked the customer to leave, I think they handled the situation well.
I will return and will recommend, thank you and WELL DONE from a grateful customer.

4  Thank Mccjgw
Brundle' Restaurant and Bar, General Manager at Brundle's Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2021

Thank you so much for the review and offering the real story to the unfortunate commotion that happened yesterday evening.
I really hope you had a lovely evening despite this and can't thank you enough for witnessing what happened and standing up for our hardworking staff who have dealt with the busiest weekend ever extremely well.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2021 via mobile

So you can get food an hour after being turned down if you turn up with a load of mates your face fits play loud music on the table next to you and the waitress brings you chips good night

Date of visit: May 2021
5  Thank S6711YWrobertm
Reviewed 1 June 2021

Absolutely shocking. Spent 60 pound of drinks before ordering food then spent 140 on the food. 5 of the 6 meals arrived and my daughters steak came really well cooked when ordered rare. The lovely waitress came back and said chef says no it’s perfect. I then entered the restaurant to meet a chef extremely angry telling me the steak is fine and to go away. When I explained I am paying for this he called me many names and even offered me out side for a fight.
Then they decided to come outside and take pictures of my family as we had complained and my daughters are only teenagers so this is highly inappropriate.
The manager also defended the chef saying he has worked with him for years so obviously it’s ok to behave like this??
Shocking and please read other’s reviews before you waste your time and more importantly your hard earned cash.
Avoid avoid avoid

8  Thank 259craigi

Good afternoon Craig, Thank you very much for reviewing. We were anticipating this so we can offer our response.
We have several witnesses (one left the review after this with the real story so please read that) who witnessed you going up to our chef and calling him several foul names before asking him to fight you outside. Your wife was then racist to our chef telling him to go back to his country and that she pays for him to be here, this is hence why I took the photograph in the event of a police report for racist language to our staff.

After you asked the chef to come outside and fight we had a look at the steak which was in fact rare, we showed you it and you tried to claim that wasn't your steak. There was one cut open steak left on the side, your waitress confirmed that it was your steak. Before you entered, the chef had already offered to redo it blue if it wasn't rare enough however you weren't happy with this.

You completely changed your tone when me and the owner came over to try and resolve it, acting calm and polite which we would have fallen for had I not turned around at the moment of you pulling your mask down calling the chef a w*nker behind our back to try and continue the facade.

We gave you an immediate refund and asked you to leave however you carried on eating and drinking your refunded items, and used extremely rude language to our 16 year old member of staff making her cry.

I'm unsure why you have made several Tripadvisor accounts just to review us but I'm glad we had some lovely customers in who were happy to confirm you treated our staff disgustingly and we'll ensure the places in our lovely town know of you and to be wary.

Please be kinder to hospitality staff in the future.

Have a great day!