All reviews enid blyton outdoor pool pirate ship adventure playground meal times secret escapes games room pitch and putt studland bay family hotel dog friendly hotel tennis courts table tennis steam room national trust cream tea wet room
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Oh dear - I believe that the new owners have good intentions to revive this bygone age hotel and have begun with the refurbished Bistro. I wanted to love it but our visit was sadly disappointing.
The decor is at best confusing but worse was the overall experience, which was like sensory overload. Bistro tables and benches and chairs ok, a nice teal colour on the walls but then mixed with four different colour fabric roman blinds, different colour/style light fittings (didn't count them but at least 30 plus hanging lights), blue/beach washed wooden floor and orange and pink paintings on the wall (these were lovely) but the mix of design was just too much and just missed the mark.
The room was busy and the echo was such that it was almost painful to sit there. Every time a child squealed it ran through your ears - really need something to deaden the sound.
The food was nothing to write home about; ham, egg and chips ok, burgers would have been better for some simple seasoning but had the oddest garlic cheesy bread I have ever had. I think it had been blow torched round the edges and was essentially just a slice of bread with barely melted cheese.
The waiters were lack lustre and I suspect out of their depths, although this is not a big bistro so not sure what the challenge was. The service was poor, we waited 1 hour and 10 minutes to be served a simple lunch order. Fawlty Towers springs to mind

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank SHy141
Amy S, General Manager at Knoll House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear SHy141

Thank you for your comments i will ensure that the comments regarding the decor is passed to our professional company designers

I do apologise that you felt so negative about various items of your visit

Reviewed 30 March 2018

As a wedding gift, my husband and I received an afternoon tea voucher at the bistro at this hotel. We had both been meaning to visit for years as it is a beautiful hotel and were really looking forward to our afternoon tea. Well...
I'm not normally one to write reviews but as we left so disappointed, I wanted to leave my feedback. We were booked in for 3.30, arrived a few minutes early to an array of dirty tables and one moody looking waiter, who eventually acknowledged us and told us we could sit anywhere. After 5 minutes sat down, he brought us our champagne over (which turned out to be the highlight of the afternoon tea...) and at 3.50 we were given our afternoon tea consisting of stale sandwiches, scones (my husband enjoyed these) chocolate brownies which were pleasant and 2 shot glasses of a cream and raspberry coulis mixture which looked appealing but tasted of nothing. The waiter did not go out of his way to exceed our expectations, in fact he didn't look as though he wanted to be there at all. We left at 4.15, very very disappointed, we do not recommend and will certainly not be going back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank amanda0409

Dear Amanda

Whilst it is no excuse we were rather busy on that day and due to this the team did try there best to rectify as soon as tables became free

David the supervisor on duty did try his best and I apologise he obviously wasn't quick enough

I will pass you comments regarding the sandwiches and coulis to the chef

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Spent 2 nights on a special deal and loved it. When we first arrived it was like stepping back in time. Big old sofas everywhere. Huge portrait paintings and squeaky floorboards but this all added to its unique charm. The place certainly grows on you. The staff where helpful. Our room had a sea view. The food both dinner and breakfast was good. I wouldn’t want it to change and lose its individuality.

2  Thank sue w

Dear Sue W

Thank you for your comments it is always a pleasure to read when guests have had a lovely stay with us and take the time to comment on there stay

we hope that you visit us again soon

Reviewed 28 March 2018

A friend and I visited this hotel for a cream tea,with a glass of champagne.This was a Travelzoo offer,so obviously at a reduced rate.The food was fine,apart from an unidentifiable pink and yellow cream concoction,absolutely no recognisable flavour,neither of us could eat it.When we had finished our pot of tea I asked for some more and was told there would be a charge !! for 2 tea bags and boiling water !! I was astonished and annoyed,a couple at a nearby table were also astounded. I will not recommend this to anyone else.,I live nearby and hotels and restaurants should be aware ,that not everyone is a tourist.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Sue A

Thank you for your comments and i am so sorry that your tea wasnt topped up and i will ensure that these comments are passed onto the manager

We do value all our guests both local and tourist and I am sorry that you feel unable to recommend

Reviewed 28 March 2018

A lovley two day visit on offer from travel zoo. I don't think I would pay the normal price but a very enjoyable visit with helpful staff, excellent dinner and lovley location. First impression was "iffy" as I used the nearest toilets to reception where the door lock didn't work ( hubby stood outside) and a half used soap bar. Liquid soap would be expected and more hygienic. Room, no 52 lovely with a nice balcony to sit out on. E booked a twin but a double was made up. Next day I talked to a lovely staff member asking what the quilt was made of as I was rather allergic to it. Immediately she changed the covers, plus divided the beds. Excellent service, all done with a smile. Super children's play area, although we had no children. A big plus, dogs a aloud in a special separate little dining area for those who are unsure leaving dogs in rooms. Next time dogs will accompany us. Rather disappointing was the swimming pool.only usable at certain times, why close 1.00 to 200pm? I like to swim before breakfast but it didn't open until 10.00. Then you were advised not to swim after eating. Location was supreb. Tennis courts and putting looking out to sea. Fantastic walking area. Bus route stope outside hotel and goes to Bournemouth Poole and Swanage. Perfect for oldies with a free bus pass! The reception was rather slow. No bell to ring and empty a lot of the time. As for the dinner. Excellent choice and beautifully cooked and presented. Again, views of the sea. The Waiters so easy to look attentive, we got asked a total of five times if our meal was okay! There is a bistro, which we didn't use, purely because we had enough with breakfast and evening meal.The games room a good selection of games and books. Wish I had taken a three day break instead of two after the travelling.one thing which could be improved, a box of tissue in the room, and maybe the walls were rather thin.I'm not sure if I would pay the full price for a stay, we bought an offer through travel zoo, which was very good and would certainly visit again if we found another offer. All in all, a lovely relaxed older type of hotel with fantastic staff

Room tip: Ask for searoom, upstairs or down, no lift
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank _valjd1

Dear valjd1

The door does have a lock on and is a little tempremental, we did have and have tried many times to leave our own room hand liquid soap, Elemis, unfortunately it has disappeared within days therefore we have retreated back to hand soap

Yes room 52 is a lovely room and I am so pleased to read many of your comments regarding both the negative and positives of your stay and hopefully we will see you again.

we do also have offers available on our website, at present we are doing a Dorset walk on the wild side which sounds amazing for only £125.00