“Sudden decision which worked-out well”

Lochside House Hotel
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2017

With everyone else in the house out for the night, there was just my eldest grandson and me at home. Neither of us fancied cooking, or a take-away, so, he offered to treat me to a meal at Lochside House Hotel's Afton Restaurant..

We hadn't booked, but, were warmly welcomed, seated immediately and a very nice evening ensued. The main thing Lochside has going for it, irrespective of its setting, is the warmth and friendliness of the welcome and the high-quality staff. In neither respect was this evening a let-down.

Good food, good ambiance, fast, unobtrusive service and a reasonable price. A success.

If I was to be ultra-picky. I find the food in the Afton a bt over-spiced. Lots of Asian/Thai influences, which is not really my scene. Since grandson was paying, I didn't have the option of going for the steak option, but the grilled chicken I had was excellent. He had something Indian, but didn't get the advertised naan breadk. However, a Lochside manager later explained the mini-popadoms served with the dish were instead of the naan bread.

A minor, and reluctantly awarded black mark, for the server not making this clear. However, this omission failed to spoil the meal.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Lovely hotel, had a great time! Nice buffet! Although we didn't stay in it we saw the honeymoon suite and it was lovely, dark and moody (clearly interior designed) with lounge area, balcony, and massive tub (more like a swimming pool). Husband said it was the ideal place to take a mistress lol ;)

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I choose to come to The Lochside Hotel on a regular basis - from Dumfries. Friends & family all love the setting & we are generally not disappointed. On a couple of occasions the service has been very slow, but it is usually very good. The quality of the food is consistently good & always hot. I was there today, with family & we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Service was excellent from very nice waitresses who recognised that we come often. However, both last week & today, we noted there is a new waiter ( he might be senior ) who is not of the calibre of other staff - quite off putting with a hostile manner. Such a pity to have one person who displays a negative attitude. It won't put me off being a regular customer, but I do hope he recognises his short comings & strives to improve his attitude while working in this wonderful setting.

2  Thank 606Maureenanne
Reviewed 5 July 2017

The owner of a local B and B booked this venue for us, said we would not be disappointed, it was just as described, and made so much the better by a gorgeous summers evening.
There were many choices on the menu, the quality of the food was of a high standard, staff friendly and although busy paid attention to detail throughout the service.
We would have rated this five star, but for the very noisy ice grinding machine, behind the bar and we were sitting about 3m/4m from it and this happened regularly throughout our meal, If you you were part of a group you may not notice, but as a couple something you can do without

Reviewed 3 July 2017

This is normally one of my favourite places to eat out, but on this occasion was extremely disappointed. Tables arround us coming in being served and leaving and we hadn't even had our first course. Asked for a jug of water for the table, still waiting for that. Think the hotel had taken too much, for the staff available. We sat down at 1-15 and left after 4pm, think it must have been close to two hours from sitting down to getting main course. They asked us if we would like deserts to which we replied, yes after twenty minutes we had to chase the menu's up!