“Highlight of the highlands”

The Lovat Brasserie
Price range: US$20 - US$53
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 40 Seater Brasserie with modern surroundings is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner, 7 days a week - offering local produce, presented with care, creativity & flair.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After struggling to find good restaurants in and around Fort William we ventured north to The Lovat at Fort Augustus on the recommendation of Trip Advisor. I'm so glad we did! It was by far the best 2 meals we ate during our week in the Highlands (yes we went back for a second time). The restaurant staff were very friendly (the barman was a bit curt) and the standard of food was superb. I had the smoked salmon for starters on my first visit and stuffed mushrooms and lambs liver on my second. Both were excellent, perfectly presented and cooked. For main on my first visit i had slow cooked lamb on a creamed barley which was simply stunning, so good in fact i had it on my second visit. My wife had the braised Ox cheek which was also cooked to perfection. Portions were on the small side but perfect to allow room for a desert. We shared the sticky Toffee pudding which was so light and moist and was followed by a coffee.
If you are able to try The Lovat i would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First, it might be noted that there are not a lot of options in Fort Augustus for dining, and even fewer if you take the pubs out of the list. Even so, this is a superb place. We found the ambiance quite relaxing, the service staff to be most friendly and courteous, the food to be outstanding (of course, it helps if you like either fish or game, or both) and the views of the area to be an extra amenity.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed in Fort Augusta’s for my 40th Birthday last year. Had a meal here and wow it was amazing. Even allowed our dog to be there too. Can’t wait to return again sometime and even stay over. Great staff very attentive.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

We ate here one night as we were staying in the hotel, and it was one of our best meals in Scotland. The food was excellent, and the staff were friendly. The chocolate dessert was incredible, and highly recommended. We ate breakfast in the morning, and although it was good, it was too expensive for a simple breakfast. I would definitely recommend the Brasserie for dinner, but not breakfast.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Went here as was recommended by the owners of the b and b across the road. My husband had the scotch broth to start but unfortunately didn't like it as it was quite tasteless. When the waitress asked if he had enjoyed it he said no as it wasn't really his taste, she didn't like this answer and quite rudely asked what was wrong with it.
When we were halfway through the main course the chef came to ask if it was okay. When we said yes he cheered and said yes we've found something he likes. The staff made reference to the fact that he hadn't liked the starter at every opportunity. Won't be going again. Also expensive for what you get.

2  Thank SRLincolnshire
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Good afternoon, I was hoping you could help me as we are intrigued by your review.

Whilst we do have Scotch Broth on our menu, our kitchen staff never venture into the dining area to chat with customers and your review seems very out of sync with our normal procedures following a complaint.

Did you in fact dine at our establishment in Fort Augustus or perhaps mistake ours online for another property?

I look forward to hearing from you so we can either have this review removed to its correct place or indeed do some serious in-house training with the staff who have shocked management by breaking the norm.

We eagerly await your reply.

Kind regards,