“A surprising find”

Price range: US$21 - US$55
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 40 Seater Brasserie with modern surroundings is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner, 7 days a week - offering local produce, presented with care, creativity & flair.
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

We were staying at The Lovat and arrived late afternoon when the restaurant was closed for lunch. The snack provided for us in one of the lovely public rooms was so good that we immediately decided to have dinner at The Lovat Brasserie. Dinner at the Brasserie was so good that it could rival some of the best restaurants anywhere. The food, service and presentation was excellent - we were sorry that we had to leave very early the next day and couldn’t dine there again.

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Upon arriving I was treated attentively and it continued throughout the meal. The surroundings were pleasant, crisp and clean. They served a lg piece of house bread with soy butter and fresh still water. Good for a starter.

For the meal. I had a tomato tart under tempura coated green beans and pesto orzo with pine nuts and chanterelles. Very delicious.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Having only been able to find standard (but good) pub fare elsewhere, we wandered to The Lovat. Here we experienced friendly, knowledgeable staff, a warm welcome from the owner, fine dining, an amazing choice of Whiskies and Gin, a great selection of wine and a lovely lounge to retire to with a coffee. Yes, you pay for the quality of dining, but it is well worth every penny. Service was personal but not intrusive, the food was delicious with a well thought out choice, and beautifully presented. We were fortunate to go in November when it was not too busy, but were also informed of their a la carte restaurant (not open that evening), where I imagine the dining to be even better ( if that is possible). I cannot recommend this more highly.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

After struggling to find good restaurants in and around Fort William we ventured north to The Lovat at Fort Augustus on the recommendation of Trip Advisor. I'm so glad we did! It was by far the best 2 meals we ate during our week in the Highlands (yes we went back for a second time). The restaurant staff were very friendly (the barman was a bit curt) and the standard of food was superb. I had the smoked salmon for starters on my first visit and stuffed mushrooms and lambs liver on my second. Both were excellent, perfectly presented and cooked. For main on my first visit i had slow cooked lamb on a creamed barley which was simply stunning, so good in fact i had it on my second visit. My wife had the braised Ox cheek which was also cooked to perfection. Portions were on the small side but perfect to allow room for a desert. We shared the sticky Toffee pudding which was so light and moist and was followed by a coffee.
If you are able to try The Lovat i would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

First, it might be noted that there are not a lot of options in Fort Augustus for dining, and even fewer if you take the pubs out of the list. Even so, this is a superb place. We found the ambiance quite relaxing, the service staff to be most friendly and courteous, the food to be outstanding (of course, it helps if you like either fish or game, or both) and the views of the area to be an extra amenity.