“Charming stop with good food and drink”
Review of The Lock Inn

The Lock Inn
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2017

The atmosphere was warm and busy. Soups, salads, and sandwiches for a light but fortifying lunch. Upstairs offers a great view of the boat locks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

We were looking for a quick homemade lunch where we could take our dog. Other local options were good on the website but lacking any welcome of us and our little dog.

The staff here were warm and welcoming and positively welcomed our dog. We had great sandwiches with the freshest of artisan bread and tasty fillings along with chips. My daughter had the kids macaroni which was lovely. Service was quick and we liked the rustic decor. Maybe there could have been some music to warm up the atmosphere. At £35 total this was a decent lunch made with fresh produce in a friendly place by the canal.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

The inn looks amazing inside, with the bare walls and lure of fires at both ends of the pub. But sadly neither were lit in mid-October and the tables and chairs were functional rather than made for whiling away an hour or so. The barmaid was brilliant but I couldn't bring myself to buy any food, given the £3.45 price tag just for a bowl of chips. And I confess I'd spotted a forgotten nook below the stairs, which hadn't been cleaned in a while, which put me off, although the bar and tables did look spotless. This felt more like a cafe than a traditional bar, which is a shame. My husband remembers it being a lively fun place with live music some years ago, but maybe chasing the tourist dollar is more enticing these days than providing more than a place to drop in for a quick bite to eat. Please note there is plenty of room on the second floor. The food looked like stock bar grub, sandwiches and soup etc.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

It wasn't the worst pub I've ever been in and it wasn't the best either. The service was fine and the food was hot and filling on a cold rainy day so that was a huge plus. The steak/ale pie was filling but I've had much much better ones in Scotland. My wife had the fish and chips and they were really good...especially the chips.

The biggest complaint I had and it really isn't about this pub in particular is the lack of ambiance, live music, etc. None of the pubs we saw throughout the Highlands had the type of live music you'd see in any pub at all in Ireland despite the shared Gaelic heritage. This is a bit unfair of course and it didn't really factor into this review specifically but I felt it is worth bringing up.

The location right on the locks of the Caledonian Canal was also quite nice and they even have outdoor seating on the locks on days with far better weather than we had so that is also quite nice. It is centrally located and it honestly doesn't really have any competition in Fort Augustus as the other food options are pretty similar.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We went in for the view. Nice looking pub. Staff?? 3 guys standing chatting in their own language and on their phones. On bottom of the menu it states order at the bar. Great. But maybe tell people that?? Lady at the bar far more interested in her suitor. People had to ask her where their food was. Food was pleasant but zero service. Owners should have a wee chat and maybe post a sign for ordering at the bar.

2  Thank drillerkc74