“Ok...”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch. No smile or anything really friendly from the waitress. I also heard the waitress saying “we’re closed. Closed” with such a stern face to other patrons who came in. Maybe return business isn’t an issue in such a touristy place. My “Smokey” chicken was a bit dry, served with flavourless unseasoned vegetables & chips from a packet, I only ate about half of this and only because I was hungry. I wish I had gone for the lentil soup. My husbands haggis was good though & he enjoyed that.
The menu was extensive though & plenty to choose from, including plenty of desserts.

3  Thank jannesco
Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

First visit was at lunchtime, very busy with passengers from the boat trips, we were late for lunch but the friendly staff welcomed us in and found us a table. Cullen skunk was superb. Went back in the evening to a near empty pub, made very welcome, fire topped up for us and local steak was tender and cooked just right. Great choice of whisky and friendly advice on more local malts. As for some of the comments on unfriendly service-it wasn't our experience, perhaps it depends a bit on the customers approach too, though I guess when the boat trips come in they just need to get through the numbers in the short time available before the boat leaves again perhaps.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

This place must specialise in surly unfriendly management and staff!!........The food is average but the vibe here is like a library without books rather than a welcoming "hostelry" / pub that serves food. The distinct feeling given here is, order, eat up, pay and get out of our way so other annoying punters can come along. There's not much alternative choice in Fort Augustus which drives undeserved traffic their way, but should it arrive they will be in trouble............we shan't be going again............the chippy next to the petrol station looks far more inviting!

3  Thank Realado
Reviewed 12 November 2017

We came for lunch as The Bothy was right next to the lock gates in Fort Augustus and looked inviting. We were in for a shock. The girl who took our order was surly and acted as if she wanted to be elsewhere. I ordered the Cullen Skink for starter and the venison burger for main. My wife didn't want a starter and ordered the stuffed mushrooms and a bowl of chips for her main. We were gobsmacked when the food arrived, all at the same time! My Cullen Skink (traditional fish soup/stew) was plonked in front of me along with the venison burger and chips without ceremony and an apology for the obvious mistake. The soup was stone cold so i sent it back to be re-heated and started on my main until the return of my, now steaming Cullen Skink. Faced with the dilemma of finishing my main or going back to my starter i decided to finish my main before that got cold. It was probably the worst burger i have ever had the misfortune to eat. A plain, overcooked burger in a dry bun with no garnish of any kind, completely dry. At least the chips were ok. The starter (the Cullen Skink), now my main by default, was tasteless and i had to season it to give it any sort of flavour. My wife's main was ok but she said that the best bit was her bowl of chips. When asking for and paying the bill we were not even offered an apology.
I hate to leave bad reviews and I'm tempted to put my experience down to them having an off day but the atmosphere amongst the staff, lack of an apology and the sub-standard food are probably more indicative of a poorly run establishment. I would recommend giving it a wide berth!

3  Thank ian r
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Avoid this place, very rude service staff in the restaurant(not the bar) I understand that is very busy place and crowed with tourist but no need to talk in a bad way or do a very bad service, the lunch was ruined by bad service. Overall for the two waitresses (the young waitress and the mid fifty’s blonde waitress)
About the food I asked for a sirloin steak rare and it came rare and well rested. Can’t complain about that. The food though came very quickly, the veggies were frozen.

3  Thank Eli M