“Unpleasant combative staff, disappointing food ”

The Bothy Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

This place certainly looks pleasant, with a warming bar as you walk in. No doubt this would be a welcome treat in the winter months.

On walking into the restaurant however this is where things started to go down hill. Firstly queuing behind another customer who was having difficult with a member of staff that couldn’t understand a question about opening times. English clearly wasn’t her first language. It’s worth pointing out from the outset, the high premiums paid for eating in this tourist trap do not reflect quality in food or service.

We ordered a fish & chips and a mushroom pie. The server was brief but pleasant and the food arrived in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately the mushroom pie was really unpleasant. Basically a pile of bland thick sauce that was vaguely mushroomy flavour. After both trying the pie we decided to ask to change it. We were told this was not possible and we would have to pay for that and any replacement. I understand it’s not the done thing to send something back but this quickly turned into a conflict rather than a conversation with a customer. Being British and so rarely feeling compelled enough to send something we stuck to our guns, with eventual success.

Our replacement duly arrived, a rather sorry looking salmon and cream cheese combination on a shop brought pre-bake baguette.

On the whole this was a disappointing visit and should I find my self in the area again I would certainly be avoiding. There are plenty of other choices locally and now having checked trip advisor I can now see my choice was poor.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,266)

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This was our first visit to the area and many places seemed expensive looking at their menus, but we liked the look of the pub so tried it.
The service was outstanding the food was excellent, the portions were generous.
When my food came, the plate was so hot that I would have had blisters if I held on to it.
I do like hot food served on a hot plate. I had the haggis heels & tatties.
Which was a mountain of haggis with buttered new potatoes and boiled swede.
I could not fault it. It was also good VFM.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

First time visiting the establishment was awesome! It was a mild winter, but it was cold enough outside that walking into a cozy and welcoming place made it a great first impression. The food was good and the beer of course... no need to explain.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Great bar and nice place to socialise, but food is very average and unexciting. Worth a look but don't expect anything too fancy. Reasonable value though. For something more special special a bit more and go to The Lovat.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

Was on a boating holiday and stopped here for food in the evening. The beer was great and the food was excellent, with large portion. Staff were very friendly and our dog was welcome, which is sometimes hard to find.
Very warm and cosy place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Thank you.