Shieldhill Castle Hotel
  • Pool
US$57
US$41
Priceline
The Gordon Arms Hotel(West Linton)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$106
US$90
US$195
US$188
Travelocity
All reviewsstable blockbottle of proseccoon arrivalitison dealmain buildingmurder mysteryfour poster bedlog firecourse dinnerwallace roomlounge areapublic roomscourtyard roomdouble jacuzzithe sticky toffee puddingwedding venuehoneymoon suite
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We have just returned from a two night stay here. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, very luxurious and each public room is full of lovely ornaments and interesting decor. The staff are excellent and very friendly and helpful. We were booked into the main building however the boiler was broken during our stay so we had to stay in the courtyard buildings. These are beautiful too however I would have loved to stay in the main building as per our booking. Our stay was for 2 nights bed and breakfast with a 2 course evening meal on the first night, The food was excellent, not large portions but very good quality. I know the boiler breaking was not the hotels fault but in my view they could have gained themselves a 5 star rating if they had given us a complimentary bottle of wine with dinner for our inconvenience, this was their opportunity to go the extra mile and they didn't grab it instead they charged us for it. Highly recommended none the less.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheila c
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Stayed as a group of 5 and has a great stay at Shieldhill Castle. The atmosphere created by the staff at Shieldhill are second to none. We loved sitting by the fire in the evening after our delicious meal! I love the individuality of the rooms and will be back soon. Overall a fantastic family break.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Christina R
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Our room (the honeymoon suite!) was absolutely filthy dirty! Thick layers of dust everywhere along with stains, leaks, dirt, rust, drips, puddles and exceedgly tired decor to name a few! The big selling point of the room was the spa bath however the fact that it was surrounded by burnt out candles, footprints and wax spils didn't really inspire romance and then to discover that the jets didn't work just made it all the more disappointing. On top of this the shower (in the tiny and unclean bathroom) was either running and scalding hot or just not working at all. These are just our main issues with the hotel however what I found worse than any of this was the appalling attitude of the hotel receptionist when these issues were raised- she was so rude and unproffesional and lied to my face about how I would have to go about receiving a refund (which we are still to receive and doubt we ever will as customer care and satisfaction is clearly not a priority). The hotel could not have cared less about our negative experience nor the fact that they had made the occasion we were away for absolutely miserable. I left the hotel and cried- we will never return and absolutely never recommend! I had such high hopes for this place and cannot describe how sad this experience has made me.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank scarlet_red_uk
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We stayed at the same time as the previous 3 reviews and for a little balance I have to say we really enjoyed our stay. Yes there was a problem with hot water and yes the organisation at breakfast/dinner could have been better. But our room was lovely, with nice views, warm, cosy and quiet. The meals we had , both at breakfast and dinner were very good. Dinner both nights were in fact excellent. All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating.
As I say, there was a hot water issue but that was sorted. Though, as a previous reviewer has mentioned this and it was ongoing back at our original date it is something that management should be prioritising urgently. Also, they could look at organising the dinner service a little better. It struck me, and I may well be wrong, but perhaps the chef needs extra bodies to help out.
That said, we really enjoyed our stay and will return again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We have stayed at Shieldhill Castle numerous times and again it met all expectations. The experience of getting to stay in a castle is fantastic. The food was great and the atmosphere in the lounge next to the roaring fire is so relaxing. The staff and the owner Mary are perfect hosts and this is now our default place for a relaxing weekend away! Will definitely return later in the year.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family