“Raining evening!”

Price range: US$6 - US$55
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy stunning views over Tobermory Harbour or across the bay and out to the Sound of Mull. This charming hotel returned to private ownership in September 2008, and is now undergoing a slow transformation back to its former glory. If excellent food, friendly service and a great atmosphere are what you're looking for, then the Western Isles is for you.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We arrived at the Western Isles Hotel & had originally intended to go out to eat but saw the dining room with its great view out over the bay,saw the rain start & decided to book a time & come back down to eat. We were not disappointed, staff were very attentive, the food was good & so was the view.

1  Thank FayKayRay

Reviewed 5 September 2017

The dining options on an island as small as Mull are as you might imagine, somewhat limited. So there is room for the grand dame restaurant sitting high above Tobermory harbour and impressing with its fare. Unfortunately, the Western Isles hotel restaurant is not it - yet - although it's clearly making efforts to be just that.
The restaurant has amazing views from the Orangery over the harbour and approaches to Mull. In fact, they must be some of the best on the island. The menu itself has certainly got a Scottish and Highland feel although it would be a bit limiting if you were staying at the hotel for more than a couple of days.
The food quality was good and the seafood is especially good value and quality with the largest and tastiest mussels I can remember eating anywhere. However, the service was patchy at best, with some of the order missed and some basic table management skills missing. That said, the waiting staff were pleasant, polite and pretty attentive. They could have known more about their menu and sourcing of product and a waiting telling you he doesn't know anything about the wines so can't really help is refreshingly honest but doesn't really help sell the restaurant.
What you come away with (at least in my experience) is the sense of a friendly family run hotel that does food but isn't passionate about it. They have a good venue but won't push it too hard. I think objectively, they are underselling their potential and I suspect steps are being taken to polish this diamond in the rough.
This restaurant has so much potential with basically good food which could be elevated from average/good to very good. However, the patchy service and good but not outstanding menu/delivery holds it back to an overall average score when it could potentially shine much brighter. So much potential so well hidden ... but maybe that's how they like it ?

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Made a mistake in my review of 22nd August. We were actually in the Gkenlivet Room (not Glenfiddich). I probably had too many whiskies and got my 'Glens' mixed up. Just in case anyone selected 'Glenfiddich' based on my original review!
Photos show the room, bathroom & view from the window.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I stayed at the Western Isles Hotel with dinner included. I was pleased it was as the food was very good. I am gluten and dairy free and the manager came out each evening and discussed the menu options and where dishes could be altered for me. The waiters were attentive and the courses well spaced.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The hotel was one of the nearest to our self-catering cottage, so was either the first of last place we would visit of an evening. We had drinks there several times. From the Bar/Restaurant area there is a lovely view as the hotel is high above the harbour. We enjoyed sitting in the garden and ate there one evening at a table in the window to take in the view while we enjoyed our meal