“Quietly Good”
Review of Ardlui Hotel

Ardlui Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardlui
Reviewed 4 September 2017

We were three adults and we stayed at the Hotel Ardlui right on the shores of Loch Lomond for just one night. I had Room 24, a single attic room that was simply perfect barring the fact that it did NOT face the Loch. The room was clean and welcoming. It had all standard amenities plus an attached shower and toilet. It also had a TV with limited number of channels. Tea kettle was provided. The bed was soft yet firm and I had no trouble falling asleep...it helps when blaring traffic does not assault nerves.
The couple with me shared a double room but it had a tub, not a shower. Their room was 20 and it too DID NOT face the Loch.
I would have given Hotel Ardlui Full marks but for one fact. What I missed MOST were charging points for the cameras and mobiles. I had to squat to find a working electric power point and remove the lamp’s connection and charge my appliances one by one.
The dinner was adequate…quite good but not excellent. However, I was happy with the scampi dish they served me; although the other two with me said the steak was a trifle dry. Breakfast was great. Staff were friendly and the service came with smiles. The Hotel was full but since it is a small hotel it was not “heaving” with tourists and I could have my peace and quiet. Parking space is enough too.
However, what I absolutely loved about this place was the flock of sparrows that live in the hedges. Robins too and Wagtails. The steps lead to the Beer garden. There is a path (almost) down to the shore of the Loch which was a nice place to just amble along. There were people water skiing or just rowing their boats on the Loch. I wasn’t so adventurous so I took some photos of the Marina and the clean waters of the Loch. i will remember this 3 star family-run hotel for a long time.

Room Tip: Rooms 20 and 24 are not Loch facing.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Out for a bike ride and stopped here for a (soft) drink. The staff were very friendly, helpful and chatty. It's worth a wander around the marina and the loch views are amazing. A great place to stop for a break. I'll certainly be back again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We stopped at the Ardlui Hotel when walking the West Highlands Way. The hotel is on the opposite side of Loch Lomond, but they are able to cater for walkers of the trail by providing a free water taxi/ferry from the hotel side of the Loch to a makeshift pier on the east side. To summon the ferry you have to raise the orange ball up a flag pole – all very novel. However, there are no ferries between 14.30 and 15.30 - just when most WHW hikers are arriving from Rowardennen. The first ferry back, to continue the WHW in the morning is at 9.15am. Warning - in very inclement weather, and limited visibility, as on the day we arrived there, the ferryman might not be able to see the raised ball and you may have to call him on your mobile. The number is given on a board on the pier.

There is no drying room at the hotel but they are very obliging and will put your wet gear in the boiler room. All the guests were able to dry their gear when we stayed. Because we were soaked to the skin, and the radiator in our room was not working, they kindly volunteered to wash our shirts, walking trousers and socks, and dry them, free of charge. I thought that excellent service. Our room was comfortable and it was clean. The shower was adequate. There were all the usual facilities. The WiFi connection is poor. Our breakfast was good.

Tip: There is insufficient room in the dining room to cater for everyone who is staying at the hotel so it is advisable to book in advance. If not, you will still be able to choose from the same menu but you will eat in the bar, but will pay the same prices. Service in the bar was poor and unprofessional. Although we had ordered a table, we were shown to a table without place mats, cutlery, condiments or glasses. Having been shown to the table it did not occur to anyone to provide any of these, or even to bring a menu and wine list. We had to ask to knives and forks and I fetched the menu from the bar myself. Service was off-hand. The staff did not appear to have received any training whatsoever. The food was also poor. My Cullen Skink was the worst I have ever tasted; little more than potato soup with a hint of fish and no cream – not Cullen Skink at all. At £7.25 this was outrageous. I informed them that I had not been impressed by the ‘Potato Soup’. I followed the soup with Chilli con Carne (£12.95). I had the impression that it was minced beef cooked with tomatoes and doused with Tabasco. My wife had a Caesar Salad for starters (£5.25), not good. She then ordered Beef Pie but it was not available, then Beef Casserole, also not available, so she had a burger and chips (£12.45). The burger was of poor quality, or over-cooked, or both. She left most of it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Went in June to Ardlui hotel after spending some time in the drovers and enjoyed it,nice bar and lounge and lovely views of Loch Lomond,didn't have anything to eat but will next time,the staff were efficient and quick

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Loved our arrival to this hotel via the boat ferry. The room we were given had a good view over the loch. However, we did have to carry our heavy bags up to our room, when previous hotels had done this prior to our arrival - helpful when arriving tired from our walk. The room itself was well equipped and the bed was comfy. The food for dinner was very nice and good value. The only negatives were some of the staff, who whilst trying to be helpful, were just portly trained. Also the morning ferry which was supposed to leave at 9:15, didn't do so until 9:45, leaving us standing in the rain.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardlui
19.6 km away
33.1 km away
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
23.2 km away
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Ardlui Hotel? Share your experiences!