“Absolutely brilliant”
Review of Portnellan

Portnellan
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I, plus our two Labs, have stayed at various lodges within the Portnellan estate for over four years and we have thoroughly enjoyed every single trip. We cannot list one single fault. Yes, the broadband is limited.....yes, there might not be the Sky channels you are used to but you don't visit this beautiful part of Scotland to spend your time staring at a computer screen! Cameron and his family are famtastic hosts and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. If you are fed up of boring hotels and enjoy spending your holiday at your own pace, then we would definitely recommend it. If not, go stay in a Marriott room! :)

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have just returned from a blissful few days of relaxation at Portnellan with my husband, mother and my twenty month old son.

On arriving early evening Sunday we were met by Cameron who informed us of the facilites and activities on offer to us during our stay and how we could find our lodge. We were assigned lovely Osprey; a 4 Star lodge with spectacular hill views.

On opening the large patio doors we were met with a smart open plan living, dining and kitchen area with immaculate appliances, flat screen TV, DVD player etc. The two bedrooms were of a good size, as was the bathroom. Smart leather furnishing, tweed curtains and quality linen have been used to give a modern scottish boutique hotel finish to the lodge which adds to the cosy charm and relaxing ambience.

Having scattered a large quantity of bird seed on the grass we were able to enjoy watching the comings and goings of dozens of tiny birds from the side window of the sitting room, a real thrill for my young son, the window being just at the right height.

I arrived with a car full of provisions for our stay and spent time cooking meals but next time we'll be taking advantage of the various restaurants in the area, all within a half hour drive and one of the nearest even boasting AA rosette standard.

I can strongly recommend Portnellan for anyone looking to get away from it all, we will certainly be looking to make the journey again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stayed at the above lodge last weekend has a great time even although weather was very poor. Had a great touch by experiencing the piper Duncan on satuday night was amazing touch. Would really go back and stay there, i am planning another trip there.

Trish

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trish H
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in Ptarmigan lodge in September 2011 for a long weekend and although it was a comfortable stay I don't feel it was worthy of a 4* rating. Very dated decor and furniture, very uncomfortable sofa and cramped kitchen and rooms, not ideal. I had previously stayed in the also 4* rated lodges at the Cameron House resort at Loch Lomond and they are worlds apart.

After reading on the website about the range of activities...kayaking, clay pigeon shooting...etc... I was looking forward to the stay. We were not made aware on how to go about booking or getting involved in any of these when we arrived which I was very disappointed about however as it rained non-stop for the whole 3 days we where there it was not a massive issue.

Also it states on the website that the lodges have Sky TV, this is not the case, they use a Sky box to obtain digital TV signal which then gives you access to freeview channels, there was no access to any Sky channels whatsoever in the lodge we stayed in which is abit of a con on the website.

The last point i wish to make is that I have never been on any sort of holiday where I had to be conscious about how much electricity I was using and making sure I was turning things off after myself, contantly worrying how much we were using and also cleaning up after myself...the lodge was in no way messy but i think expecting guests that have paid to stay there to also clean up after themselves and pay the electricity bills is abit too much.

Like I said...comfortable stay but won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MuzzyOban
Portnellan442, Owner at Portnellan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback regards your stay in Ptarmigan Lodge, one of our 4 * properties. I take all feedback very seriously.

Portnellan operates a continual refurbishment programme on all our properties taking into consideration the professional advice given from VISTSCOTLAND’s quality assurance advisors and our experience of being in the Tourism accommodation sector for over 30 years.

Over the last 36 months Ptarmigan has had the following undertaken: new living area carpet, retiled kitchen floor, complete interior walls redecoration, new Sony 32” LCD TV, WIFi installation, new oven and hob, solid pine coffee table, respatex bathroom wall panelling and bathroom suite. The exterior walls and window frames have also been painted throughout the Summer months of this year. It is one of our most popular 4 * lodges.

I am somewhat concerned that you have compared one of our 4* lodges to a stay in a 5* time share at Cameron House, it is an unfair comparison and I would welcome you back to try our 5* properties should you choose to return. I would be more than willing to offer you a 15% discount, subject to availability.

Upon arrival you would have been personally welcomed and given a map to show the lodge location. On the rear of the map is a description of important things to know while occupying a lodge and staying at Portnellan including the following paragraph.

Activity equipment: Bicycles, canoes, kayaks, lifejackets, paddles, oars and fishing gear is stored in the garage beside the visitors’ centre. Just help yourself and return equipment when finished. If you require any assistance, just ask. Please report any damage or repairs required to reception

There is also a blue information folder that rests on the coffee table that reiterates this information and much much more including detailed drives, local information, walking suggestions, DVD list and much much more. With these 2 forms of information provided for you along with a manned reception and visitors centre I can not see how you were not able to use the boats, Canadian canoes, fishings and any other facility we provide.

Regards electricity consumption. Your paragraph states,

“I have never been on any sort of holiday where I had to be conscious about how much electricity I was using and making sure I was turning things off myself”

Our intention is not to make you feel like you are watching the pennies, and with the constantly fluctuating costs of electricity it is common practice in self catering properties to allow the guest to pay for their electricity costs separately rather than charge an all-inclusive price for a holiday which may not be reflective of current market pricing.

SKY television is available in Ptarmigan but only on the freeview channels. This provides the terrestrial channels along with a number of SKY channels. What I think you are suggesting is that there were no sport channels, movie channels etc etc. We offer the full SKY TV package in our 5 star lodges and some of our 4 star properties. However, we do mention in the literature on the Portnellan website that if you wish to bring with you your SKY box with card you can plug this into the lodge television and receive the SKY package you subscribe to.

Finally, the weather...in the words of the big man himself, Mr Billy Connolly.

"There is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriately dressed"

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Just had an enjoyable stay at Portnellan with friends. We stayed in the whooper lodge which is well situated with a south facing veranda. The lodge was clean and tidy on arrival and although compact very well designed. The kitchen was well stocked with every thing you could possibly need plus the added bonus of a dishwasher. The bedrooms were small but adequately furnished with good storage including wardrobe and drawers. A hair dryer is provided along with decent mirrors for dressing. The beds were comfortable with good pillows and duvet.

On arrival Cameron made us feel most welcome and took the time to come back later in the evening to check that everything was OK and to our satisfaction.

As keen walkers Cameron gave us a list of local walks and provided us with a supply of maps and books. There are a good selection of games, books and DVDs for you to borrow plus the free use of bikes, water activity gear, boats and kayaks for sailing on the loch. We took advantage of the rowing boat to visit the island and castle in the middle of loch Dochart.

We enjoyed our stay at Portnellan and the surrounding scenery and will definitely be back.
We highly recommend the lodges and facilities at Portnellan

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank annettmackenzie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
2.7 km away
28.5 km away
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Portnellan? Share your experiences!