“Wonderful cakes”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 30 April 2015

We did not have a specific destination for lunch (or any recommendations) when we stopped in Helenburgh. The posted menu had just what we were looking for - and the cakes displayed in the window were very appealing. The Cullen Skink was exceptional. Selecting a dessert from the varied variety was very difficult. We settled on a caramel glazed cake with warm custard - and were not disappointed.

Reviewed 16 April 2015 via mobile

Absolutely exquisite place made to feel very warm and welcome. Food was delicious and freshly made. Prices I found very low for the portion sizes and standard of the food provided a little gem in great wee scottish town.

Reviewed 14 April 2015

This sounds as if it's good for lunch - but seeing the 'tearoom' sign we thought we'd pop in for coffee. It was 11.58, and our waitress said that normally she wouldn't do just coffee at this time, but would do so for once. I noticed that two customers who came in after us were served drinks only with no problem, so this wasn't a great welcome.
We asked for Americano coffees (as you do) without really looking at the menu: indeed the one I picked up had no prices. The coffees were fine. We were surprised to find on leaving that they were £3.25 each. A record?!
Maybe we just chose the wrong time and place for our coffee, a mistake we won't make again.

3  Thank G_M_NGlasgow
Morag49, Owner at Craigard Tearoom, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2015

Thankyou for your comments for our Coffee Shop /Tearoom/Restaurant . I remember you well as I was the lady that served you. We have been serving tourists and locals alike for nearly 25 years and we do this very well by managing the tiny amount of tables that we have (6) . At lunch time (12 - 2 ) we are extraordinarily busy serving working people lunches very quickly or tourists that need to be fed and watered in 15 minutes flat . We do this by freeing up tables that would normally be used for drinks only . We feel its a fair system and it has worked up until now sadly. You asked for two Americano coffees . These are long two shot black coffees which are described in the coffee menus on all our tables. A two shot coffee at £3-25 works out at just over £1-60 a coffee . Again we are the cheapest by far not only in Helensburgh but countrywide for this type of coffee. Thankyou for pointing out though, that we are a great place for lunch as we most definitely are !!

Reviewed 31 December 2014

Found this place by accident and cannot complement the owners enough on the quality and quantity of the fare they served. My daughter, wife and I had soup & sandwiches which were excellent and my son had the Macaroni cheese; again was fantastic and richly cheesy. Other patrons had fish and chips plus other items from the menu and all looked great. The establishment was busy throughout the time we were there and especially with the locals which indicates I believe a high quality establishment.
Thank you for a great lunch and wish you every success, you deserve it!

Reviewed 22 October 2014 via mobile

We stopped for lunch here and cake. I was feeling in need of simple comfort food so had beans and toast. My boyfriend had Cullen skink. It was delicious. We then both had dessert. He had the meringues and I had the apple crumble pie. Absolutely beautiful. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone who likes cake and coffees .