“Beautiful grounds, nice collection”

Dixon Gallery & Gardens
Ranked #33 of 159 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Art museum specializing in impressionist and post-impressionist painting, featuring work by Matisse, Renoir, Gaugin, Cassat and Turner.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We enjoyed the collection and the gardens are very nice as well. I might make another trip depending on the exhibits available.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My visit in the spring caught blooming gardens and trees. I enjoyed the setting as I hadn't on a previous visit in the winter. I was there for the State of the Art exhibit and enjoyed the found art theme. The shop is small and carried a nice array of interesting gifts. So much to see!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

The gardens are very peaceful, and we wandered for a while before going inside. The collections there are small but beautiful, with very many famous painters and interesting art pieces. The temporary exhibit on display during our visit was on perfume, and was a very interesting plunge into this facet of history and art.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

The former Dixon home displays a variety of artwork. The rooms are easy to navigate, but sometimes the labeling of items makes you pick out key words to distinguish which piece of a group it refers to. There is a small garden at the entrance of the complex and a green house with exhibits pertaining to a featured exhibit. Also a small gift shop and what looks like a snack shop but it wasn't open when we were there. The museum is free to the public on Saturday mornings from 10-12. The Dixon offers many programs and special evenings throughout the year.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

The Dixon needs to stretch their customer service and imaginations a bit. We went for the Secret Gardens movie in the "gardens" and I was hoping for something special. The movie itself is fantastic but no charm added from the Dixon whatsoever. It was just inside the museum not in the gardens. Not a decoration? Not a craft station or any treats--not even for purchase? I just think they could do a little SOMETHING if they are going to host an event. How about mention in the event description that you could come early and enjoy the museum/gardens for the same cost as the movie even? We got there on time for the movie and were told "oh, too bad, you'll have to miss the movie or the museum/gardens as they'll be closed when it's over". Then they handed us a brochure showing the membership details and one lady said we could apply the cost of the evening towards the membership after the movie but when we asked to accept that option the other lady said that wasn't possible? I'd still like to return to see the gardens and art exhibits as I haven't seen them in 10 years. We did get to peruse the gardens just a little after the movie and what we did see was enchanting to be sure! I do wish they had evening hours more than once a month for walking in the gardens and catching fireflies after it cools off. We'd be more likely to go then.