“Do Not Recommend Duck Fried Rice”
Review of South of Beale

South of Beale
Reserve with OpenTable
South of Beale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,498 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: South of Beale is Memphis' first gastropub! At the bar, we focus on unique cocktails along with local / regional beers from the area. Our food menu is new-American style with a few extra twists!
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Very noisy atmosphere. Difficult to have a discussion with friends. Ordered the Duck Fried Rice, so salty couldn't eat it. First bite of duck was hard as a rock. Had I been by myself would have sent it back, with a group and didn't want to make a scene. Salad was good.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

I had seen "S.O.B." on Triple D ("Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives") several years ago. I had even gone and gotten the Duck Fried Rice - it was good. Well, I recently took my wife to enjoy the great food at S.O.B. - and she enjoyed it too. Actually we decided to split the dishes and were glad we did, we left full and satisfied. The serving staff did a great job too - pleasant and attentive to our needs.

We both shared - and enjoyed - the Duck Fried Rice. They simply have a way of mixing tasty Duck Confit, flavorful spices and moist, tender fried rice into a wonderful mouthful of flavor. And that was just the appetizer.

The Fried Pork Chop was moist, tender, not overly cooked and well-seasoned. Although we ordered a second order to split, the Chop came with the Gouda Mac 'N Cheese. MAN! Was it ever good. The Smoked Gouda made the dish smooth and flavorful. We got the second order because we didn't think there would be enough to share. We didn't need a second order. The generous helping was plenty (but we were quite glad we did have extra. Mmmm!).

Now they did have a number of other dishes and side-dishes that looked delicious, but hey - you can only eat so much on one visit, right? You know what that means. Yup, gotta go back again to try the rest.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I are hear and the food and atmosphere were great. I had the pork chop and Mac and cheese. My tongue kept getting in my way.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent fried rice, corned beef egg roll, yummy brussel sprouts, and pop corn. Folks next to us loved their salmon.
Extra points for having a wine I like!
Server was excellent.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Managed to get in three times in a week! Brunch, late night, and Trolley Night. Still enjoyed great service and tasty grub. Michelle turned a customer disappointed with a Bloody Mary at brunch into a return customer with an innovative hand crafted cocktail sure to please. Seared tuna app never disappoints and the duck patty melt was perfect comfort food for my companion. For the end of summer fare, the zucchini noodles were the way to go. Definitely a South Main favorite spot.

Been to South of Beale? Share your experiences!