“Friendly Bar, Good Food”
Review of South of Beale

South of Beale
Reserve with OpenTable
South of Beale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 1,497 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: South of Beale is Memphis' first gastropub! At the bar, we focus on unique cocktails along with local / regional beers from the area. Our food menu is new-American style with a few extra twists!
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We wanted a casual dinner with a bar atmosphere, TV coverage of the World Series, and SOB delivered. We started with a local amber beer and a glass of Portuguese rose and both were very good. For dinner we had the SOB burger, and shrimp and grits. The grass-fed burger was excellent, the shrimp and grits was good, but not up to low-country cooking we had in Charleston. Our server was very accommodating and attentive. One caution, there’s a $0.50 charge to taste a wine. That’s unusual in our experience but a small price to get it right.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

This was our final food tour stop and the only stop where we purchased a drink with our sampling. Great local place off Beale that has a very friendly and eclectic vibe. Our sampling here was chicken and waffles which were fantastic! My wife chose a grapefruit fizz while our guide and I both had the champagne margarita - both were incredibly good and refreshing! Definitely worth another visit.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

This place is just a few blocks from Beale Street and was an ideal place to have dinner before going to listen to the music. The menu was fantastic and upscale but the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. The food was gourmet but there was nothing fussy or stuffy about this place.

Save room for dessert. I'm not one to usually order dessert but I had to try the Jack and Coke bread pudding and was not disappointed. We also shared a pumpkin creme brulee that was excellent.

If I lived in Memphis, I'd be a regular at this place sitting on the patio with my dog. Don't miss it.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Great food. Saw this place on the food channel and wanted to check it out. Food was excellent. Inside has really loud music constantly playing, so it is tough to have a conversation. Outside patio did not lend itself to pleasant dining due to weather. Food was worth the noise. Would come back if in Memphis again

Reviewed 6 October 2017

My wife and I took outdoor seating on a fantastic evening and had a light meal. We shared an Brisket Eggroll Appetizer and Shrimp and Grits main course. Both were fantastic. We will absolutely be going back even though we live 100 miles away.

Been to South of Beale? Share your experiences!