“Never disappointed”

Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Sunday lunch and time to take a mature lady out. Where better than a comfortable, professional and quiet restaurant in lovely surroundings? It's a rhetorical question. Nowhere better. As usual, it was all those good things.
The Sunday lunch menu is a bargain and has things you would expect like roast beef and seasonal dishes like grouse. Fish too. The trouble with picking from the menu is choosing. Too many good dishes!
There's a decent choice of wines by the glass at prices not over scandalous. Plenty more to choose from by the bottle is you want to spend more.
The restaurant has taken to adding an optional 10% charge. As it happens the service is always good so it hasn't been and wasn't an issue for me. Interesting though and I wonder what others think. Is it really reasonable to expect a 10% uplift on a bottle of wine with a list price of say £50, costing the restaurant perhaps £17 (that's a guess)? As I say, overall, for the quality of food and service, the restaurant charges are reasonable. I love going there and I'll go again - and again.

1  Thank AlanShropshire_12

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I can see lots of good reviews and I am sure the food is usually very good but unfortunately our experience was a bad one which ultimately ruined our planned weekend in North Wales. Our main course was so bad that neither of us could eat more than a few mouthfuls and what we did manage to eat gave us both Diarrhea. Instead of offering any form of apology Bryan Webb (head Chef ) all but threw us out of the Hotel. We are currently in an ongoing dispute with Bryan Webb/Tyddyn Llan. We will never consider going here again.

10  Thank brogan t
Reviewed 22 September 2017

This restaurant is clearly "old school". We had the Friday Gourmet menu. All the courses were perfectly prepared classic style dishes. All about letting the quality of the ingredients shine through.
Fine dining done well

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch. All exceeded expectation for the price. Would go at least monthly if I lived closed. I am not a fish person but ordered place and it was the best I have ever had. Wine extensive and reasonably priced. Is Sunday is this good the tasting menu must be spectacular.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We eat here regularly and always have an excellent meal. What we particularly like is its lack of pretension, nothing blingy here! The menu is always interesting and often includes dishes that are hard to find elsewhere - sweetbreads, calves liver, pigs trotters. Plenty of interesting fish dishes too. It was a real struggle deciding what to order but currently it is lobster and grouse season so that is what we had. Lobster delicious and not overwhelmed by the delicate sauce, grouse served pink as it should be. Yummy game chips. Good choice.
It is always worth saving space for puddings. We can recommend Baked Alaska and the summer pudding. But if pannacotta is on have that - Bryan does the best one I've ever eaten anywhere.

1  Thank CaroXB