“Yummy veggie and vegan options, lovely welcome too.”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #23 of 36 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We were very pleased to find somewhere other than the Quarry where we could eat in Machynlleth. Hubby is vegan and I am a gluten-intolerant veggie, so we are most chefs' worst nightmare, but the new chef at the Coch Llew was not only happy to accommodate us, but also made every effort to ensure that he was getting it exactly right for us. There were 3 other vegans in the restaurant at the time and he was actually quite ecstatic about this. Bless! So lovely to get such a nice welcome.

The food was yummy - husband had a hearty veggieburger which was made to the chef's own recipe. It was voted quite delicious. I had griddled vegetable skewers with oyster mushrooms. The skewers were cooked to perfection. A simple dish but not any easy one to get exactly right.

Just to add that the Coch Lllew serves a lot of meaty dishes and Sunday roasts too - so caters for everyone.

Prices were a little higher than we would expect to pay in a simple pub setting, but the welcome we received and the standard of the food made up for that.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I was here , part of the Machynlleth music Festival ... they kick me out ... for whatever reason ... ( because I did not had a pass for a boxing mach...???) ...good food , some of the working people nice ... others extreme arrogant fascists... , sadly not really to recomment ....

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Enjoyed a great meal, lamb steak for husband, vegan option with oyster mushrooms for me.
Really good food cooked by a chef who clearly loves what he does and wants diners to feel the same about eating it.

1  Thank Huws8
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

We visited twice during our week long holiday. I can't praise the chef enough! My son has Coeliac disease so sometimes eating out can be difficult but not here. When we mentioned gluten free he came over to us and took him through the entire menu and explained what he could and couldn't eat and also adapt to make suitable. Our food arrived and it was absolutely delicious. On our second visit he went off menu and produced a wonderful chorizo based meal too. There are lots of vegan options too so the food is suitable for just about anyone! Apparently he's only been here for a couple of weeks so ignore the previous negative reviews. (You must try his Thai Slaw, it is amazing!) It's also a dog friendly pub

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We visited this pub after a big walk. We are all hungry and tiered. As soon as we went in we checked their menu and surprisingly they had a lot of vegetarian & vegan food. We don't get this much valaety of vegitarian & vegan food at our local pubs. Atmosphere was very good and suppose lots of local people go as well as travellers like us. I had a pint of ale first to give myself award from a long walk. Then I started to order the food. We are all vegan and the chef came out to see me asking our diet requirements if we have any allergy. Immediately I could see he had a big passion about what he cooks. Food was excellent and the chef, Michael came to our table to check if we were happy with the food and even cooked up some unique side dishes on the spot! It was the best food ever and service was excellent too. We really enjoy the evening here. Even just visiting for beers you can have good night out. I wish there were more forward-thinking vegan pubs like this!!

1  Thank Ayumi A