“Good resort, good location, big difference between buildings.”

Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have stayed here for 15 years as my in-laws own timeshare weeks. I have used their unit, which is a great unit in one of the newer buildings, and I have traded my own time share points and rented in other years, and occasionally we have ended up in the original building which is clean and okay, but certainly pales in comparison to the newer ones in unit size and comfort.
The resort is located right on the beach and has a nice pool. The restaurant, which is great for lunch at the pool, does not have the best quality food, but the service is quick and friendly and the lunch specials are very reasonably priced. They have a cute little playground in the sand at the beach if you are traveling with kids and in school vacation weeks it is definitely a family style resort. The one and two bedroom units definitely give you a lot of space for an entire family and it is nice to have the full kitchen when traveling with kids.
Other great things about the location is you can walk to restaurants, coffee shops and stores, you are a quick drive from the Aventura Mall which has a great movie theatre, quality shopping and good places to eat and it is easily accessible from both Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports (about 15 minutes to FLL and 30 to MIA). As it is located on Collins Ave. traffic can be busy in the area and it is not a quiet location.
Overall, it is a very good place to stay for a family vacation in the Miami area.

Room Tip: Buildings 1, 2, 5 and 6 are quite good. I recommend them over Buildings 3 and 4. The Villas are go...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jginbos

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed at the Golden Strand over thanksgiving holiday, and enjoyed it thoroughly. While it is not a high end resort like Trump Tower or Aqualina, I really felt like family by the end of the week. The resort staff are wonderful, all very friendly and helpful. The resort is extremely clean, including the rooms themselves, as well as the public areas. While it may be a little dated, it has flat screen TVs. I stayed in one of the villas right on the beach, and it was great to just walk out the door and on to the beach! The villas have big kitchens, and the master bath is incredible with a whirlpool tub and separate shower. Ceasar, the beach attendant was very friendly and made sure we had pads and towels set up every morning. One of the other reviews mentioned that there were no new towels available for the bathrooms, but all you have to do is walk your dirty towels over to the laundry facility and get new ones. Took about five minutes. They also have a small area to do your own laundry which was great. The lady at the spa was equally friendly and gave me a great manicure! The resort also has an area where you can grab a book and a little workout area on the second floor above the spa. There is also a small park and volleyball net right on the beach, as well as shuffleboard and a ping pong table by the pool. The reason for the wristbands is to ensure that only resort guests use the property. The Azzura restaurant is good, but a little pricey. Good value for lunch, though. There is a great italian restaurant down the street called Timos, and if you have a car ask the front desk for directions to Anthony's for some great pizza, or to Mo's diner(or Deli?) for great deli food. The portions are huge! There is also a great Mall close by, The Adventura. The Hialiah Race Track is also close and there are several Casinos, including the Hard Rock a short drive away. All in all, I loved my stay at The Golden Strand and would definitely go again.!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank sheila m
Reviewed 11 December 2011

If your not going to stay in South Beach then Sunny Isles Beach is a very good location to access the Miami area. Plenty of restaurants and services in the immediate area surrounding the Golden Strand Resort. As stated the pool and beach is a plus. The kitchen, living room and bedroom in the unit I stayed in was furnished with what I consider the bare necessities, period! All of the funiture should be replaced to enhance the stay of their guest. The rooms were clean even though we experience ants in our kitchen. Again, the place was clean. Expect a charge of $20 for parking and $10 per day for a resort fee.

Why did I rate it a three? For the beach, pool and cleanliness. Take out one of the aforementioned reasons and we're talking a rating of 2. Would I stay here again, probably not due to the out-dated furniture and bare necessities provided by the resort. This location is surrounded by millon dollar + condos and very upscale timeshares. The Golden Strand is caught in a time warp

Room Tip: If your with RCI then you have no say on the room. RCI books the available room for your stay and t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I live about 2 hours north of the Golden Strand, on the Treasure Coast. We wanted an affordable room on North Miami Beach for three nights to enjoy some R&R, go to a Dolphin game, and eat some authentic Cuban food. We stayed November 11-14, 2011.

I thought I had thoroughly researched the various options and ended up with "Booking.com" reserving the Golden Strand Ocean resort, yet I was still charged more then anticipated at checkout. This place is a timeshare/resort type facility. It is not a HOTEL/MOTEL stay. By that, I mean that we were charged $21.40 to park in THEIR parking lot for three days. I have yet to be charged for parking at a hotel. Also, if the lot is full you must park in a public parking lot that was quite a walk from the resort.

There is NO room service/maintenance. There is a small kitchen with the expected coffee maker and refrigerator. They also have a stove/oven. However, they do not supply the expected coffee, filters, sugar, artificial creamer etc = a cup of coffee. Even in a basic hotel room you expect to wake up and be able to make a pot of coffee, this is not included at the Golden Strand. So either bring these supplies, or add the cost of going to the grocery store to the cost of the room. Your sheets are not changed, you do not get fresh towels, nor are the used towels picked up. They just accumulated in a pile on the bathroom floor. The room is not cleaned, which led to some very sandy floors by day three. These are ALL extra charges if you want them performed. The one, and only one, service that we read in their guest manual, which is provided for free, is garbage pickup from your room. It was made very clear that you were not to put your garbage bag out into the open hallway. We now know why that is so explicitly stated as a no-no. No one ever showed up to pick up the bathroom or kitchen trash. Considering that we had a kitchen, we were actually semi-cooking in it and were producing garbage that needed to be disposed of. My husband had to haul the trash to the dumpster the first two days and called for someone to pick it up the third day as we needed a trash bag.

For a positive, the room was not modern, BUT very clean. As was the whole kitchen area; refrigerator, stove, microwave. However, the slider door out to the patio was very old and no longer able to slide its tracks. I could not utilize it as it had to be lifted up off the tracks to be opened or closed and it was very heavy. The room has a flat screen TV with a very poor picture. My husband is "techi" but could not make the TV brighten up.

The room was quiet, thanks to old school construction. It was obvious that we were put in the least desirable room. When I saw that our room was the first one from the front lobby on the outside AND the first room from guest coming from the interior exit from the lobby, I was not happy. Basically, we would get noise from the traffic going in through the front door and then going out through the lobby to get to their rooms, pool, restaurant. I thought for sure it was going to be a horrendously, LOUD night. It was not. But I do not give any credit to the staff for that. There were obviously plenty of empty rooms that we saw throughout the long weekend and yet they put us in the least desirable room they had. Perhaps the local Florida address is not welcomed?

We ate at the resorts’ restaurant, Azzuro and was disappointed. The menu prices are high and nothing comes with your meal. Not a salad, sides or even bread. I ordered one of the chef’s specials, lasagna, priced at $14.95. I had to send it back because it was not hot. The serving size was small and it also tasted like it had come out of a Stouffer’s box. My husband ordered Veal Picatta for $19.95. He received a very small, thin piece of veal swimming in piccatta sauce. Way too much sauce to be able to taste the meat. The saving grace to where to find some good food was that there is a Tony Roma’s restaurant right across the street, very good food and reasonably priced.

When booking the room I was issued a confirmation statement of “Total” cost of room $375.00 (125. per night) plus taxes. When I checked out, I was charged the expected Dade County tax. But then I was also charged an additional $8.50 per night room tax, AND a $10.00 per night resort fee, as well as the $21.20 for parking. All this nickel and diming with additional fees is ridiculous and quite annoying. I would not stay at the Golden Strand resort again just for this reason. If you want to charge $143.50 a night for a room, then don’t say the room is only $125.00. This is a shady business practice and needs to stop. I also did not see anywhere, when researching this facility, that NO room services; cleaning, towels, sheets etc, would be provided. Quite a pricey facility when the additional costs and lack of amenities are factored into your stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Penelope A
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed at The Golden Strand for business and will be back with my family. I found the beach and pool areas to be a highlight of this resort. The rooms although they do need some updating are clean and comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and kind. I noticed in other reviews people complain of parking and other fees at this resort. When I travel, I have not yet found a Hotel where I have not had to pay for parking, and it has usually been a per day fee. So $20 a week to me seems like a good deal. Also, most Hotels on a beach will charge for a cushion or an umbrella if you sit by a pool or on the beach per person. So once again, I think The Golden Strand charges something like $10 as an amenity fee per room, not per person, so everyone gets a cushion and a beach towel? Sounds pretty good to me!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
0.5 km away
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
2.7 km away
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
1.4 km away
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
0.1 km away
Trump International Beach Resort
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!