“A tale of two stores”

Add it.
The Country Porch
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Monterey
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

You reach the rural community of Muddy Pond and The Country Porch after a long slog (approx. 15 miles, 30 minutes) from the interstate. If you are pressed for time or are looking for quilts and crafts, skip this place and continue another half mile or so to the Muddy Pond General Store. Also it is Mennonite owned and the atmosphere seemed more friendly than here. I don't know if The County Porch is Mennonite owned or not, but it is your only option if you want a sit down meal. Service was not exactly cheerful. Granted, it was nearing the 5 pm closing time when we got there, but the employees acted like we were there to shoplift instead of to shop. Most of the cans/ jars were items "imported" from Amish settlements just a few miles from home so I couldn't see buying any. They did have some locally baked goods and I bought the last two marked down cinnamon rolls for me and my son. They were okay, but not great. Also bought some holiday tea on mark down. It seemed like a lot of the other merchandise was over priced. The store does offer free ice water (like the famous Wall Drug of South Dakota, for those of you who have been out West). Overall, I rate it as an average stop, not terrible but I wouldn't drive that far out of the way just to go there.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

We had lunch at the Country Porch on a recent visit to Muddy Pond. It has a bakery, a general store and they also serve breakfast items, lunch and an early supper. They close at 5:00 p.m. We opted for freshly made hamburgers on sourdough buns. They have a large variety of toppings, the price was very reasonable and the service was fast and friendly. There is a small seating area in the store. The bun was melt in your mouth good and light and fluffy.
Before leaving, we bought a few loaves of sourdough bread, molasses cookies and whoopie pies. They have many other choices in the bakery as well as a nice selection of bulk foods. Many of the items are from the Ohio Amish country vendors.
I would eat here again anytime in the area.