“A Presidential Home”

Andrew Jackson's Hermitage General Admission
Ranked #16 of 263 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson, is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States, and recently named the #1 historic house in Tennessee. Today, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with over 30 historic buildings, that welcomes some 200,000 annual visitors, including 30,000 schoolchildren, from all 50 states and many foreign countries. Visit Andrew Jackson's Hermitage this fall and holiday season to witness "The Duel: The Art of the Southern Gentleman." This 30-minute new visitor experience will answer questions about dueling followed by an ACTUAL demonstration by our historic re-enactors. “The Duel” takes place every Thursday through Sunday throughout the day, free with paid admission.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

President Andrew Jackson was a controversial public figure. His home is a well preserved portrait of the times and very interesting to visit. I would highly recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,501)
All reviews
in 94 reviews
"history lesson"
in 67 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We recently had an opportunity to visit Andrew Jackson's Hermitage. The Visitor Center/film were well done and informative. The property is large, and we walked to the various buildings, through the garden, and also did the wagon ride tour (which I would highly recommend!) Although we didn't watch "The Duel," we heard from others that it, too, was well done.
The actual house tour was a disappointment:/ The guides were brusque, unenthusiastic, and imparted very little information. (I hope they were volunteers, because they should not get paid for the poor jobs that they did.) I couldn't wait for the house portion to be over and get outside again.
I would recommend visiting The Hermitage, but don't expect too much at the house.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

good place to go for the afternoon. learned a lot about one of our presidents. The tour was conducted really well. Guide was very knowledgeable. Been back several times.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Had we not visited Belmont Mansion first, we would not have known some interesting facts about the Hermitage, like why there were grass mats in the bedrooms and interesting details about the wallpaper.

The staff could not answer basic questions like who are the two busts in the entry way? We were told, "I don't know. They just got here. Someone gave them to Jackson, but it's just like putting your own picture up at someone's house." Not really. They were obviously important people from an historic time period, so he should have known that answer. Also, by "just got here", did he really mean like several decades ago?

My husband made a comment to
another staff member about the wallpaper, which matches the wallpaper used in the master bedroom at Belmont Mansion, and the staff person gave incorrect information about it, including that it was a digital reprint of the original, and then she said that it was purchased from a mansion in Paris, taken off its walls, and then she said that the wallpaper factory was burned down.

We were only in the house for less than 10 minutes, and what I learned is that the baseboards and floors were made from tulip poplar because it is termite resistant, and that the moldings are also wood, but with sand added to the paint to make them look like plaster. The staff seemed dismissive of the property, like they were the Walmart greeters of historic properties. We were definitely disappointed.

The grounds were nice, especially the main garden.

Once I was back at the gift shop, I asked a staff member if they had a copy of Jacksonland as its author was featured in the short film which played at the beginning of the self-guided tour, and his comments seemed most interesting to me, so I wanted to read his book. The woman kept asking me, "So you want a book about Jackson's land?" No. I looked at the bookshelves for it, but I couldn't see it. A second woman helped me, but that original one checked me out and said, "We don't have books about Jackson's land." Sigh. You'd think that the gift shop workers would know which books they had which may have been mentioned during the film. Several experts were featured in that little film, and I bought two of the books for later reading.

All in all, I feel like we should have skipped this one.