“Not very good”

New China Buffet
Ranked #44 of 63 Restaurants in Shelbyville
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Ate here did not really like it. The food was not that warm. Never got a refill on my tea when it was all. The service wasn't good they never took our plates away it was like they forgot that we were even there. I will never eat here again.

Reviewed 2 April 2016

The service here is always very pleasant and fast. We do like the food which keeps us going back. Sometimes the trays are almost empty but it usually doesn't take too long for them to replace with fresh. We have eaten there a half dozen times and have only seen a chef at the hibachi grill twice. There is ice cream and sherbet but, since it is self serve, the tubs sometimes look pretty disgusting with people dipping the same scooper in different flavors without rinsing it off in between.

Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

So this was my 1st time to the New China Buffet and I can't say that it really wowed me.

The restaurant opens at 11 am a good time to open for lunch, I would probably open a 1030 to ensure the big box store employees in the adjacent areas are taken care of.

I went at noon and not very busy for a Friday and went up to get my food BUT where was the food???? The holding trays were empty or almost empty with very little in the holding pans. There were 4 of us in this party and I had to ensure that I saved enough for the others since I didn't know how long it would take to make the food.

I might give it one more chance but that will be the last one.

Reviewed 18 November 2014

i would like to say this place isnt bad, just not great either. the only thing that really stood out for me was the fact that ALL the entrees i tried, even the rice had a sweet taste to them. not saying that is bad, but black pepper chicken isnt supposed to be sweet. 3 overall.

Reviewed 5 October 2014

My wife and I visited New China mid-week for their buffet. Walking in, we were greeted promptly and seated. The servers were all very friendly, fast, and efficient. Drinks were served. Then, faster than an Olympic slalom champion, things went downhill. The buffet was indeed large, but many trays were nearly empty or already at that point. There was no kitchen staff in sight. You know, those folks who monitor and replenish items on the buffet. They also include a hibachi grill in the price of the buffet. But, alas, there was no one there either. There was a good ending to our meal though, as we discovered that they offered both ice cream and sherbert!