“Parking & Line out of control”

Dallas World Aquarium
Ranked #29 of 258 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The adventure at The Dallas World Aquarium begins at the top of the rainforest exhibit, where exotic birds, such as Cocks-of-the-rock and many species of toucans, can be seen. Lounging around are Two-toed and Three-toed sloths. Endangered animals, such as Orinoco crocodiles, Giant river otters, Antillean manatees and several species of monkeys are part of the many conservation projects. The aquarium portion displays interesting marine life, including Japanese crabs, jellyfish, Leafy, Weedy and Ribbon seadragons. Black-footed and Blue penguins can be seen swimming as guests enjoy the outdoor South Africa exhibit. Sharks, rays and sawfish are only a few of the fish living in the Mundo Maya cenote. Safe from Neotropical eagles, are euphonias, tanagers and hummingbirds. Reptiles and amphibians, both of significance to the Maya culture, can be seen throughout the exhibit.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Parking lot was horrible. Had to guess the lines to pay. Line to get in was very long. Seems they should try something different or add self service kiosks. Nothing super special as far as the aquarium is concerned.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,115)
All reviews
in 141 reviews
"aviary"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had so much fun, and there are many activities and shows you can see. Family friendly, make sure to check the hours for everything

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We visited this after getting a recommendation from someone else. We went with our 10, 7 & 4 year old children on a rainy weekday morning during spring break. It was the perfect indoor activity! The aquarium was a bit crowded due to field trips, but I would just recommend going a bit later in the day. There is a great flow to the aquarium & you feel like you are walking through the rainforest for the first half of your visit. The admission seems high, but well worth it! We saw much more than aquarium animals. Our kids favorite exhibits were the giant river otter & the monkeys. The creative T-shirts in the gift shop are fun to check out as well :)

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I have no idea how this can be an aquarium, or how it got so many positive reviews. There are hardly any marine exhibits. It's mostly a rainforest. Why not call it The Dallas Rainforest Experience? That would be more accurate. There are so many birds and non-aquatic life there. I was at least relieved to see the river stingrays. At least they are aquatic. It is definitely not worth the price of admission and parking. It was over $40 for two adults, in addition to parking. A few of the things we encountered today-I was instructed after paying to hand my ticket to someone somewhere in the 'aquarium' but I never could find the place to go. The whole thing is set up as some sort of convoluted maze. I get that it wants to take you through the different parts of a rainforest, but it's a giant cluster. The narrow walkway makes it claustrophobic, and I nearly tripped over a few people. The open floor plan it has is especially atrocious as people are throwing their garbage into the exhibits. My mother and I saw napkins in the Orinoco crocodile exhibit and that was pretty much the end of it for us. I would not be surprised if people are pouring their sodas and beer into these exhibits. It's disgusting. There aren't labels on some of the tanks, or at least, the labels are not where we could find them easily. How is a guest supposed to identify an animal? Once we finally got to the aquarium part, I was disappointed to find only a few coral tanks, one small kelp tank, and a shark tunnel where it is difficult to see the sharks. The coral tanks do not do any justice to a real coral reef ecosystem. The kelp tank was small and did not really talk about the creatures within. I saw spider crabs and a few snipefish. The shark exhibit really left a lot to be desired. We could not see into the tank as everyone was sitting in the way, glare on the glass was horrid, and finally, in order to see what I think was an angel shark (it was hard to see) in the tank, we had to press our faces against the glass and find a way to douse the light. I was shocked to find that there was no Gulf of Mexico exhibit. Between the abundance of wrecks for artificial reefs, and the Flower Gardens National Marine Sanctuary off the coast of Texas, surely there could have been an exhibit or two on that, especially since Texas has three universities that offer degrees in marine biology. I believe, however, the worst part was there was no jellyfish tank, or at least I could not find it. It's disappointing that the creatures that inspired me to become a marine biologist were not there, or in a spot where they could be easily found. Don't waste your money here. Go to Grapevine Mills Sea Life (or even Petco) if you want to see aquatic life or the Perot Museum across the street if you want variety. I'd even recommend taking a weekend trip to see the Houston Downtown Aquarium or Moody Gardens in Galveston.

1  Thank acamp1545