“Asian-Mexican Fusion at its best!”
Review of Komodo Loco

Komodo Loco
Ranked #55 of 411 Restaurants in Denton
Reviewed 5 August 2017

My husband loves sushi, but I am allergic to fish, so before visiting I verified that there was at least something on the menu I could eat - and there are several options! I had purchased a discount dinner coupon so we ordered more than we normally would in one setting to meet the minimum amount. However, that gave us lots of opportunities to sample the menu.
We shared the Spicy Edamame - absolutely delicious with a subtle orange flavor and a perfect amount of burn. We'd come back just for that! My husband had the Spicy Tuna Roll, which he said was very good, and the Shoyu Ramen with chicken, also very tasty and definitely a future option for me. I had the Beef Fajita Roll - yummy and filling. I also ordered the Pulled Piggy Tots (in the Totchos section of the menu) - a strange but excellent combo I couldn't finish, only because I was too full. They brought a jar of green chili relish with hubs' Ramen that I scarfed and loaded on the Tots - an excellent addition! If you don't get it, ask for it!
The location is a bit strange - off the beaten path, down a lightly traveled alley-like road. A free parking lot is across the street - a big plus in downtown Denton. The restaurant itself is not large, but well laid out to maximize usage. We got there around 6pm on a Friday. The bar area was crowded and many of the tables were full. However, we were seated right away - also a rare thing on a busy Friday in Denton. Service was good, but food delivery was a bit slow. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and checked back with us at just the right times.
We very much enjoyed our inaugural visit to Komodo Loco and we will be back!

Reviewed 23 July 2017

The food is fresh & perfectly prepared. The recipes are creative & fabulous. Service is excellent and the atmosphere is inviting , friendly and relaxed. I love Asian cuisine, some of my favorite places are Nobu & Blue Ocean. Komodo Loco means I don't have to drive an hour for delicious Asian fix. Don't miss this place, you'll love it.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Komodo has a laid back atmosphere and a cool, unique vibe. The food is amazing! I've eaten both dinner and lunch there, and I've tried most their menu. Everything has been unique and delicious. My wife and I go here at least once a month.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

I would say only in Denton, but we had a similar restaurant in Fort Worth for a while. Komodo Loco is an Asian-Mexican fusion place of sorts, and it was surprisingly good.

The restaurant is in an old building that looks like it was being gutted when it was turned into a restaurant, which gives it an interesting minimalist, but charming, look. The menu is not extensive, and unlike most of the places we dine in Fort Worth the Asian menu is not completely clear on what is raw and what is cooked on the sort of Sushi side. Still, once deciphered, the food was very good.

There were four of us, and we shared three appetizers. They were Spicy Edamame, great; Brussel sprouts, very good; and veggie Gyoza, tasty. Entrees were, a Poke Bowl, 2 BAO Sammies, a Loco Dragon Roll, and a special Hamachi Collar.

The Sammies were not my cup of tea, but they looked edible. I tasted the Loco Dragon Roll and it was very good. The Hamachi Collar is a piece of tuna from behind the head, and it was deep fried, crispy and tasty. The Poke Bowl looked interesting, but not enough to taste it.

The only problem was the service, which is not unusual for Denton. The server was great, but the kitchen was not on top of the orders. Still, it was a nice evening, and the food was good.

I’d try it again, if I was in the area.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Very little to go off of with trip advisor but I had this restaurant personally recommended by a colleague: I assure you, it is worth the visit.
The flavors are absolutely there and so is the general atmosphere. I started with the Sake infused veggie gyoza dumplings and went into a sushi roll (I want to say it was called the dragon fire or something like that?). The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. It definitely felt like the entire restaurant team believed in what they were serving. My waiter even surveyed other waiters to determine a good average opinion on the spiciness of certain dishes.
There's also a very fun Mexican/Japanese fusion feel about this restaurant in cooking style that I can't quite place my finger on. If I'm ever back in Denton, Komodo Loco is top of my dining list!

Been to Komodo Loco? Share your experiences!