“Not Overwhelming, but Decent”
Review of Michaels Kitchen - CLOSED

Michaels Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Description: Good Small Town Local Restaurant.
Description: Good Small Town Local Restaurant.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I've driven by this place for over 3 years. It's adjacent to a motel, so I always assumed they attracted most of their business from there since no one I know had eaten there. Well, it was about time to make that happen. I went to Micheal's Kitchen because they tout themselves as Greek & American Food. I enjoy Mediterranean food, so off I go for lunch.

Yes, there is a bird or bird(s) in a cage as you enter and you can hear the banter as you eat (a little different). At noon I saw some people eating breakfast, which is good to know because many people inlcuding myself enjoy "breakfast served all day." The overall atmosphere--tables, chairs, eating counter, decor, etc., was not overwhelming or impressive. Serving staff was friendly enough. I went with one of the samplers which included a tossed lettuce salad, feta, black olives, tomatoes, onions and a pretty good balsamic vinegarette with a gyro sandwich and a side of hummus.

The salad was fresh and dressing tasty. The gyro and accompanying yogurt sauce was also solid. The hummus, for some reason, had a spicy red either sauce or powder on top of it which took over the flavor and made what appeared to be decent hummus come off less than I had hoped. They do not serve pita bread separately for dipping in the hummus (not sure how you would eat it otherwise), so I asked for some and I got a nice little serving of pita but it did show up as a 0.50 charge on my final bill.

I may give this place another shot. Prices might be a touch high. For lunch, the Greek sampler ($7.99) and Diet Coke, plus my extra pita was $11.47 plus tip.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

It was convenient to just walk over there from the La Quinta where I was staying, the place was clean enough, and the service was very friendly and attentive. I ate dinner there and the food was mediocre, at best. I had chicken strips, mashed potatoes and green beans. The green beans were very salty, the potatoes were instant (there really is a difference between the real and instant), and the chicken strips were the processed, frozen kind. There is also a caged bird in the lobby area as you walk in and it is entertaining at first, but after awhile the squawking can get on your last nerve. I also question the appropriateness of having a bird in a dining establishment, even if it is in the lobby. I'm not sure the health department would think that was acceptable. I think the decor could use some updating, as well.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Clean with good food and attentive service. I tried a Greek sampler plate and it was all very good - hot foods hot, and fresh pita bread. I also took some cake to go, and it was also very good. The location can't be beat if you are staying at the adjacent La Quinta. A little expensive, but worth the convenience.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

It was clean, the food was average. It was close to the hotel which is why we chose to eat there. I didn't try any of the Greek food so can't say how good it was. My husband had American and he said it was good. Overall, it was good.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is located right in front of LaQuinta Inn on Fort Worth Drive. It is really part of the property and conveneint. No walking across a street or highway to eat.