“First time eating Japanese food”

Shogun Steak and Sushi
Ranked #208 of 385 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: American, Japanese
Reviewed 7 September 2016

This was my first time here, and my first time eating Japanese food. Had no idea what to expect. Went in expecting to eat a big plate of sushi for dinner, but was disappointed to find that sushi is only served at the sushi bar. Instead, I opted for the chicken. The chef was entertaining, which helped to pass the time sine getting food was a bit slow. Once it started, we were served rice, then vegetables, then our meat. Would have been nice if it was all served at once, so that the first serving wouldn't be cold, while eating for the others. Oh well. I just ate one at a time.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

Typical cook in front of you environment! not to much to report except being hungry and having to wait for the tables to fill up before they start your meal! I like it though and the food is good

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Went on a outing with my son. Decide on this restaurant as we have never been here before. upon walking in we were asked if we wanted sushi, hibachi or dinning. We opted for the Standard menu and all was well. We had the New york strip dinner each.. And when the plates came out we were surprised at the size of it. It was empty besides us and another family. Only con about t

Reviewed 5 July 2016

We love Japanese food and hibachi/sushi. This unassuming restaurant has a good location. When we came in, we believe the owner greeted us with a 'What do you want?" said very friendly-like. It took a second to realize he was asking if we were there for hibachi or the regular restaurant.We wanted the regular menu and were seated immediately.Were the only ones there at 5 oclock on a Friday, although 2 families came for the hibachi over the next hour.We were never offered the sushi menu, despite being seated next to the very clean, fresh-looking sushi area.We ordered miso soup, shrimp fried rice and tempura vegetables and the fried crab. We always split the orders! The soup was hot and excellent. The tempura did not have a panko crust, it was terrible. Might have been plain flour, but it was hard and not tasty. Did not seem fresh fried. I could not tell what one selection was, it might have been a hard mushroom or broccoli, even by color. The sweet potato, if that is what it was, was super hard.The onions did not taste good with the breading.Ugggh.The crab was very good, fried just a tad too long, but not terrible. I love crab and was glad. The shrimp fried rice was very, very bad. There were minimal vegies in the rice but worst of all was the over-cooked, hard even shrimp. Had been way overcooked and ruined the dish. We picked it out after trying at least 3 pieces of chopped shrimp each. The almost plain fried rice was not good enough to hold its own, very little egg in it even. The service was adequate/good and we did not complain because what could they do. Cannot change the breading if we reordered, the flavor/composition of the fried rice was going to stay the same. We could have complained about the overcooked shrimp, but was not worth the effort. We did not see any of the sushi made by the other 2 families who came in for hibachi, but like I said, the ingredients looked good. Should have gotten a tuna roll or a salmon roll or ??? Obviously others have had good luck here, but not us. Fried rice was 13.00, veggie tempura was 6, crab (called a spider) was 10 and i just saw we were not charged for the miso. Sorry, owners.

Reviewed 2 March 2015 via mobile

We had a family get together for my daughter's birthday at lunch today. There were 4 children in our party, and they really enjoyed the "tricks" as my granddaughter called them. The chef was very good with tossing his spatula and cracking eggs on his spatula. It was all quite entertaining. And then we were served the wonderfully flavored meal. It was very delicious! As a matter of fact, there was so much food that we had several to-go boxes, and my 11 year old grandson cleaned out one of the to-go boxes while we were talking after our meal. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and I will come back again!

Been to Shogun Steak and Sushi? Share your experiences!