“2X's a charm”

The City Cafe
Ranked #29 of 144 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had vouchers from the place we were staying and this restaurant was one of the five choices. They serve breakfast all day and since we are not exactly early risers we chose to eat here . We liked it so much we came back the next day too. I got the standard eggs over easy but the eggs were cooked to perfection! They were running, not dry and overcooked, perfect for dipping in a piece of buttered bread. They let me substitue the ham/bacon for fruit which I greatly appreciated. The fruit was fresh and a good mixture of pineapple, grapes and melon! My daughter got the Migas and enjoyed her dish as well. Generous portions and hot sauce. The tortilla's weren't soggy. The table servers were efficient but I must say that I would have liked a refill on my "hot water" for my tea or at least been asked if I needed more? It looks as if they get a steady business from the locals. I can't really comment on other selections other than breakfast because on the two consecutive days we went, we ate breakfast.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

This neat local cafe has a great ribeye steak sandwich and I order it almost every time I return! Sure, there's some fat/gristle in the steak to cut out... but the grilled flavor can't be beat... it's absolutely delicious. And, their fries are thin and crispy... the best in town! They also have a good BLT and hamburger. Good service; basic diner atmosphere; very casual; reasonable prices. We highly recommend them.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

The lady at the Pioneer Museum directed us to the City Cafe and we were not disappointed. All the food was delicious and the proportions were big, enormous salad for example and the grilled burger was bigger than the bun. The chicken was soft and juicy but thoroughly cooked. For four adults forty-four dollars.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

This was our first visit, on the recommendation of a friend. Had a plate lunch with entrée and two sides. The salad was huge and exceptionally good. Our side veggies were very generous portions. Comfort food like meatloaf, chicken fried steak -- nothing exotic. Seems like it was a reasonable price for Fredericksburg. On West Main, a bit out of the main tourist area -- small place in old house.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Tried this cafe because we couldn't get a parking place at the other restaurant. It turned out to be the best decision we ever made! We all ordered the breakfast special and the food was excellent!!!! Friendly waitress, and our food came just like we ordered it! The biscuits are so yummy!!! We enjoyed our meal so much that we returned the next morning for another awesome breakfast!